Search separates albums and photos

When I search for something that results in both albums AND photos, I get two pages: one with album results, and another with photo results.

How can I get all results on one page, regardless what type of result they are?

I'm on Zenphoto 1.4.13.

Comments

• fretzl Administrator, Developer
    It may be just a coincidence that albums and images are divided into different pages.
    Try changing the number of album thumbs and image thumbs in the theme's options.
  • It's not a coincidence at all. Those numbers are all set to 100 (all four of them). With well under 100 subalbums+photos per albums, I should not be seeing any paging at all.

Why do those number determine to seperate out albums and photos? And how is this calculated? And most importantly, why???

Let me clarify:

I want to set a number of items per page. Say, 100. Now there's 5 subalbums and 5 photos to display. Why is there still paging?? This is how paging works: there's a set number of items. Keep filling up the view until that number, and then stop. Next page. Start over, keep filling up the second view until that number is reached again. Stop. Start over. It's really that simple.

Also, fyi, I was actually talking about search results. So this setting you talk about, shouldn't affect that. Unless it magically does.
  • Well, in my theme, I'm forcing it anyway. Paging is gone, and it always displays everything on one page.

My theme is modern. Stylish, and is what it wants to be. It doesn't want to bother the visitor with extra clicks to see what can easily fit on the page anyway. It want to be gently. Paging doesn't work with that.

Paging is a nonsense concept anyway. Built to generate extra pageviews for ad revenue. Completely bullshit on a gallery-like website.

Data usage isn't that dramatic either. And on a metered connection you wouldn't be visiting an obvious data-heavy photo album anyway.

And as for CPU usage on the server: come on.
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    I don't agree that paging is a nonsense concept in general but if you think so custom themes give you the freedom to do as you like.

And on a metered connection you wouldn't be visiting an obvious data-heavy photo album anyway.
    Of course you should have any kind of connection in mind…

Anyway, the calculation is done since iamges and album loops are separete. You can share the first page of an album with its subalbums and its direct images. Since albums by default come first this makes sense as you might have just one album and then images on page 2.
    Separate pagination settings for images and album make also sense if you never have subalbums and images in an album at all but always eiter albums or images.

Search results work the same as normal albums.

The easiest step to disable pagination in general is to set the per page items to a very high value btw.
  • "Anyway, the calculation is done since iamges and album loops are separete."

To be fair, neither users nor themes should be concerned with that.

"Separate pagination settings for images and album make also sense if you never have subalbums and images in an album at all but always eiter albums or images."

Combined paging makes sense in that scenario just as well. It also makes things far easier to understand from user's point of view, and far FAR easier to write code against. I've seen the code that handles paging. I'm sure it works (well, not in my case, or I wouldn't be posting), but UGH that is some gas factory going on there. Totally unneccesary iyam.
    Well, since image and albums are separate item types and also are displayed by separate loops it is of concern to themes.

Sorry it doesn't fit your needs but as said you can disable or workaround that if you like via a custom theme. Zenphoto themes give you a lot more freedom in structure than other CMS might do. Of course that might involve some work to leave the "default way".
  • That doesn't solve the problem that when you set all values to 100, it still makes separate pages for albums and themes. Even though the resultset would fit completely and perfectly in the first page.
    If you set the "per row" and "per page" options for images and albums higher and the transition page to combined that should actually works. We will try to reproduce that.
    It is indeed not possible to do this via the options. You need to set the `$_oneImagePage` parameters on `next_image()`, `next_album()` and `pagelistwithnav()`. With the latter it still does not disable pagination completely as there is still a page 2+ that duplicates the content. We will look into this.