Polish translation a mess

Hi, I would like to use the Polish translation, but I have no idea which files are needed.

http://www.zenphoto.org/trac/ticket/682 has several copies of the same files, and whats more, it has an extra copy on svn. The SVN contains only the .po, not the .mo,

e.g. zenphoto.po and zenphoto.2.po
pl_PL.rar pl_PL_25_percent.2.rar pl_PL-17.08.2008-marek.2.zip pl_PL_25_percent.rar

Please clean this up, leave only the latest version available. Thanks

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    The file at the bottom of the list is always the latest (except for German no translation updates are included in the svn) shown by the date the file has been added. Also that file notes that it's just 25% complete, so it's not sure if that is usable at all. Btw, that file is complete with po and mo files.
  • I assumed that the latest it best, but that page should be cleaned up regardless. Also the documentation urges us to stick to a certain naming scheme for work-in-progress translations, would be nice if it was honored.
  • You are preaching to the choior. But these translations are done by volunteers. They are the ones that have to make the work. Maybe if encouraged rather than disparaged they might do better.
  • I do not want to bash anyone, I'm identifying a problem that people concerned with the polish translation might not be aware of because for them things are obvious, and I want to help solve that problem. e.g. the Persian translation has only 1 well-named file, I think that if the Polish translation ticket page had things this way there would be no room for confusion.

Once I understand why there is a svn and a attached version, and which one I should use if I want to help translate, then I could help.
  • Polish has not yet been included in the Zenphoto SVN as it has not been updated to any curent release. It is pretty difficult to tell from the ticket for the Polish translation what version of zenphoto he is working from. There is a good chance it is not 1.2 and certainly not 1.2.1, so most likely much has changed even from the 25% he says he has done.

Your best bet is to comment on the ticket--volunteer to help or take over the translation as you wish. One of the reasons the languages are handled by tickets is so that this sort of discourse can be done.

If you are going to be involved in the translation, you should read the translation tutorial http://www.zenphoto.org/2008/05/translating-tutorial/ and join the translation discussion list. The tutorial spells out the naming conventions. But as you have observed, these are not always followed.

The next release of zenphoto is on the roadmap for October 1. There will be an implementation/strings freeze a week ahead of that to allow translators to complete their work. Best is for you to start with the current nightly build and update frequently as we approach October 1.