Internet Explorer Displays Chinese

Version 1.4

Host just migrated client's site to a new server. When we view the site with Internet Explorer (my version is 7), the standard text is displayed in Chinese. Well, I'm not sure it is Chinese or another language that uses similar looking characters. Some characters are displaying as empty rectangles like an unrecognized character.

The language setting in the options is set to HTTP Accept Language. My IE language is set to English. The site displays as expected in Firefox. This only started after the site was moved. The host has not been able to provide an answer.

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    What happens if you set the language option to a fixed language? Anyway, you should upgrade to 1.4.0.4.
  • You can also remove the language files you do not need from the locale folder.
  • Have you tried other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox? I always have problems with IE.
  • Just a note to "Anonymous" above. Your user id has been removed since this post seems mostly an effort to get your site shown in our user list. But of course, if you paid attention, you would know that those links are supressed and only the moderators can see them. (Not much help in promoting links to your site.)

As to your comment. IE, specially in its older versions, does have some quirks. But it has never made things appear gratuitously in Chinese. This turns out to be an unfortunate "default" if the normal language selection does not work. (Chinese comming before English in an alphabetical sort.) But we have changed this and it is reflected in the support releases.
  • Hi all

Just to let you know that I have exactly the same issue. My site displayed English in Firefox 4, on the iphone and ipad.

But IE9 (latest version) displayed everything in Chinese, so I had to manually disable all languages in the backend except for English, and not it is ok.

Craig