google indexing sitemap folder

Hi,

I'm using the last ZP version with sitemap extended, thème ZpBase. I submitted the sitemap file to google 2 weeks ago with "google webmaster tools".

It seems my zenpages are indexed (when I google the site adress, google lists the different pages).

The thing is, when I type 3 keywords in google (this 3 words are contained in my domain's name), the first result (2nd position in the list, yeah !!!!) is : http://www.mydomain.com/cache_html/sitemap/sitemap-zenpage-pages.xml

Unfortunatly this is the only result I can see in the google search. And this is not a link to my site !

Isn't it weird that google shows the sitemap in the results ? Why can I see the other pages ?
Did I miss something with the sitemap plugin ? or with the google tools for webmasters ?

Thanks !

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    I never used the Google Webmaster Tools actually. It should tell somewhere about errors indexing.

Technically you don't need to submit the sitemap directly as you can also add it to the robots.txt file. Google will find it. Also Google will actually index the site even without.

Did you submit the right file? It would be http://yourdomain.com/cache_html/sitemap/sitemapindex.xml

On your site - if it is the one I think - of course you need a sitemap as you are using playlists and dynamic albums only which does provide no means to be indexed. I would suggest to provide a link the actual main album, too.
  • thanks acrylian !
    nope, it's for a friend of mine, I am building the site for him ! And I still use my favourite CMS ;-)

Yes, I submitted everything correctly, and the google webmaster tools confirm I did so.

I guess the site is not 100% indexed yet (despite google confirms 9 pages indexed). I just find weird that it indexes the sitemap as a result (it should ACCESS the sitemap, not DISPLAY it in the search results)

robots file seems to be fine too :
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /zenphoto/albums/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/cache/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/themes/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/zp-core/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/zp-data/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/page/search/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/uploaded/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/backup/

I am gonna wait a few weeks more, see if there are changes... I keep you posted !
    THX
    "Favorite CMS" we like to hear ;-)

Ok, let us know. It can take some time on Google especially if the site is not already known I guess.

If you wish images to be indexed you should allow either the "albums" folder and/or the "cache" folder. Depending if you want the full images to be covered.
  • Hi
    i'm a webmaster.
    you can send the sitemap url to google to make faster the indexing process.

if you place your sitemap inside robots.txt google will also find it.

you must place an url in robots.txt like this

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /zenphoto/albums/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/cache/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/themes/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/zp-core/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/zp-data/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/page/search/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/uploaded/
    Disallow: /zenphoto/backup/
    Sitemap: http://yourwebsitesitemapurl

so,

i installed "sitemap-extended" too, but inside cache_html/sitemap/ i can not find sitemap.xml

what have you done after enable "sitemap-extended" plugins?

thanks
    You have to generate the sitemap(s) first. It is not created automatically to avoid overhead. See the admin overview buttons.

If you keep that robot.txt nothing will get indexed naturally (this is not the currend default robots.txt btw).
  • thanks!
    i searched for this function everywhere and googled so hard and it was in front of my eyes -.-
    Originally it was created via url automatically but it was decided that that is not always a good idea especially on large sites.
  • vincent3569 Member, Translator
    hi

I make an up to this very old topic.

When sitemap-extended plugin is used, can you tell me if robot.txt is updated with something like `Sitemap: http://www.my-domaine.fr/cache_html/sitemap/sitemapindex.xml` ?
    No, you have to add that yourself or submit the sitemap index file to e.g. Google directly.