How to set the popup for the EU cookie law in a multilingual site

I would like to set the cookies choices popup as required by the EU cookie law.

The problem is that I have a multilingual website. If I put the popup script in the theme's template, then I get the popup only in one language.
I could not find any plugin that does the job.

Is there any solution? I could use a switch to select a different code for each language, but I cannot figure out how to do that.

Thank you for replying.

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    Actually I am planning a simple plugin for that (I am German, although it is not exactly required by law here yet).

To get it multilingual you would have to check the current locale of the user via the global `$_zp_current_locale` and provide a predefined text.

Zenphoto generally uses the gettext technology for static strings but you can do that via a switch or someting else as well.
  • Thank you, I will try that, but I think a plugin for the cookie law is required sooner or later.

I live in Germany too and the German law is very ambiguous about the EU cookie law... in doubt, it is better to be compliant (as many legal blogs suggest).

Moreover Google Adsense invited all publishers (in Germany too) to be compliant with the EU cookie law within 30.09.2015. The risk that google could close the AdSense account is too high not to set that cookie-popup.

Below two interesting articles (sorry only in German):
    http://blog.helmutkarger.de/eu-cookie-richtlinie-umsetzung-in-deutsches-recht/
    http://blog.helmutkarger.de/eu-cookie-richtlinie-google-sorgt-fuer-aufruhr/
    Yes, I know about that. However Google does not stand above local law ;-)

I probably would only do a plugin that provides an info banner and links to instructions how to disable cookies in browsers. It seems all else is depending on what scripts and cookies you use. Seems complicated to provide a plugin to cover all possibilities.
  • Thank you for the plugin zp_cookieconsent!

I have just installed it and works fine, in a multilingual site too.
  • i uploaded the plugin into the /plugins folder but i can not find the plugin in the adminarea!?

zenphoto-Version 1.4.10
    Galerie-Theme: Libratus
    PHP-Version: 5.6.11
  • argh! Thank you, it works!