News items per album group

So close to what I want to achieve... :-)
I currently have family groups that mandate when someone can see an album. The albums are unpublished and the users do not have editing rights. This way family members only see the album of their family. When it comes to news I saw you can do the same thing with categories. But I cannot seem to get the users to only have read only rights for news. They have full editing rights for news. Is there a way or small tweak I can do to prevent the user to see the whole editing field in the admin menu? As always, thank you so much for your great support!

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    edited December 2017

You can assign manage rights to categories which is then inherited by articles assigned with those categories itself. "Manage all" should be off. This applies to the backend as all "manage" rights do.

• Eddie Member
    edited December 2017

You are right. The users can only see the news that they have an assigned category for. That works like a charm. However, in the drop down menu of the admin panel they can still see all news items and delete news items. I would like my users to not be able to edit but only view what they are assigned to, so this list would be empty if that user is not assigned to that category.
    I have done this in the albums via view unpublished items and that works amazing. "Managed news categories" in the group setting does not have the same option where you can untick the box edit, like it has in managed albums. Is there a trick for this? Or code I can tweak?

edited December 2017

I think you again confuse manage rights (backend only) with view rights (front end primarily).

A user that has neither news: access all and news: manage all rights and has a specific category assigned will only see and be able to edit articles of this category on the backend. This also applies to articles without any category assigned.

Additionally an article or page can be locked for changes so only the author itself or an admin rights user can edit it.

However as we just discovered this was not working correctly (for apparently ages and no one noticed…). This is just fixed in the support build.

• Wow. I am actually helping you guys out? :smiley: What is the quickest way to fix this myself? Can I already update this support built? Other question. How can I have a default view in my news.php based on the category of a article assignment? Now it shows all news articles and based on a url you can click category filter. I'd only like to show the assigned category news.. You guys rock if you can help me with this. Then I am done! (I hope..)

You can update as to any normal release but it is not a finished release yet. It is meant to be within the next week though. Currently working on some minor things.

You mean the categories assigned to the user currently loggedin? Then you would have to try to work with unpublished categories as on albums.

• Eddie Member
    edited December 2017

I have assigned user groups to news article categories. If I go to my news.php page, it shows all news content from all categories by default. I'd like to only show the news from the category that the user from the user group is assigned to.
    This must be a small tweak in the news.php file, I just don't know which one. Theme ZPArdoise

• For albums it works great with unpublished content and user groups. But for news I am still struggling

No, you cannot just tweet news.php as you have to consider pagination and such. That would disturb anything.

The only way to hide items is unpublishing them. Be sure that the users/groups don't have "access all" or "view all" rights.

• Eddie Member
    edited December 2017

What if I create a small news content item list in the gallery.php page, can I then display filtered somehow on category on user rights?

You can also do this on news.php itself but it will not change any other behaviour else where. For example RSS will still include everything.

Just tried. Seems that on news and pages the default behaviour that users with manage rights to unpublished items see those on the front end if logged in is not working as expected. I will look into this as soon as I can.

• Honestly, I am still a bit lost how I can display news content only per user group category. By unpublishing the categories or articles my users don't see anything.

Do I need to do that support update first? How do I do that? Is there a certain file I have to replace? Sorry for bugging you with this, I am soo close.. You would make my day if you could help me with this!

As said above the behaviour you get with albums does not work with news/categories currently. I will look into that.

The suppport build is updated like a normal release. You never replace just one or a few files. See the installation info page.

• Thanks!!

• Thanks so much! This would really help me! Will you give me a heads up when this category behavior works?

Please try the support build. Now a loggedin user should only see those unpublished articles/categories he has rights to. Plus all generally published.

• You rock! Is that the support build link on the download section of this website?

Thanks, we sometimes fast and sometimes slower ;-)

Yes, that link it is.

• Seriously cool! What folders do I copy over? Just ZP-Core and index.php? (If I read the instruction manual correctly..)

• Just bricked the whole site with the install. It It had a permission problem in the data folder. I tried to fix this and everything is in error..

• Somehow I cannot ftp the zp-data folder

What to copy is all explained on the installation page.
    http://www.zenphoto.org/news/installation-and-upgrading/#upgrading

• Thanks! Still working on getting my site running again. By the way, is there a code that you can insert into the codeblocks so it shows news content only per news category?

• Fixed the site, I messed up on permissions.. I have made your update, is it possible to hide the news if it is not meant for a user that is assigned to a category group? Now it still shows the title and message: "This entry belongs to a protected category."

edited December 2017

Sorry for the permissions. We have an article about which are needed on the user guide as well. Sadly that's something specific to your server.

By the way, is there a code that you can insert into the codeblocks so it shows news content only per news category?

I can only suggest to get a bit into the code documentation. Heres the one of the Zenpage plugin:
    http://docs.zenphoto.org/package-plugins.zenpage.html
    All can be done via functions respectively the object model.

If you don't want protected items to appear you also need to unpublish them. Otherwise their existence is public except their actual content.

• I see, what I am trying to achieve is the same as with the albums. I have albums and users per family based on groups. I want to show only the relevant info per family. The albums you can assign to a usergroup unpublished. Then only those albums will appear. I love this! Now the struggle with the news bit.. Right now I have all my news unpublished, assigned a specific usergroup to a news category and what I would like is that it appears in news.php only for that user group. Kinda the same as the albums workings. The other option I thought of is a small code in the album code block filtered per category, this would even be better. But yikes..I am not into coding.. I just want to categorize news per family album.. You have helped me out so good so far, would you please be so kind to sort me out on this one?

edited December 2017

Actualy that is what the fix should do. All news articles and categories need to be unpublished but not protected. Then give the user or group management rights to a specific category. If logged in the users should only see those they have rights to. This is not possible without managment rights. There is currently no "view unpublished" equivalent right for news currently and I actually didn't intend to add that with the fix. That's presumely a larger change I don't want to add to 1.4.x right now.

The only thing you can do is call articles from a specific category elsewhere. But this will involve coding. Sorry, I can't do that for you right now.

• Ok... thanks for the effort anyway!

edited December 2017

I'll put the view rights for news/pages on the list in any case as it seems to be useful and complies with albums/images. Maybe it's easier than I think but I didn't investigate it yet.