Disable multilingual title and description?

Hello,
i don't understand the multi-lingual option.

The first problem is, that not will be differentiate between backend and frontend. For discussion in this forum and in github are english in the backend is better. But i have not a english website.

The next problem is the database. I need a clear database. Actually i see this entries in the database:
a:1:{s:5:"de_DE";s:13:"Album ABCDEFG";}
But also this
Album HIJKLMN
I like the second database entrie method. How can i disable the first database entrie method?

I do not remember if this may have something to do with the backend option "multi-lingual", or if it was enabled in default mode.

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

Actually multilingual capable strings are always stored as serialized strings. That way you never loose multilingual strings if you switch between disabling and enabling multilingual. It was done this way years ago and did cause content loss.

Sorry, you will have to live with this.

• wibbi Member
    edited March 2018

Thanks for the information.

I'm thinking about the future, and it can be a problem when migrating to another CMS.

For me that does not make any sense at the moment, because I have German titles and description, which are saved with English as the backend language, as en_US. So complete nonsense so.

Do you have an info for me for a small core hack? I'm looking for the code point where this "array/object" is created for the database-entries.

For me that does not make any sense at the moment, because I have German titles and description, which are saved with English as the backend language, as en_US. So complete nonsense so.

Well if you use the site in German you actually should set it to German on the backend to avoid this "nonsense". How should ZP know that you use the English backend but German content otherwise?

It IMHO makes no sense to modify this. It has really no impact on how you use the site in one language. Most sites I setup for ZP are single language as well (including zenphoto.org).

Migrating to another cms is always work. But if you migrate once again somtime you will possibly have to write a script for the database migration anyway. And since these are arrays you can easily sort out the "de_DE" one you are actually using.

• wibbi Member
    edited March 2018

acrylian Administrator
    February 22
    Please remember this forum is English only so always post the original English message (I do understand German though).

Source: http://forum.zenphoto.org/discussion/1409939/zp-data-protokollsicherheit-ist-gefaehrdet#latest

Backend: en_US
    Frontend: de_DE

Migration via Excel CSV is another option. ;)

Did I understand that correctly? The Multilingual does not matter in photo title and description? Even if the photo description is stored in en_US and Zenphoto has been set as language de_DE, will the en_US photo description be displayed? My test says yes. So it's data waste. You can not specify a photo title and description in different languages, which would make it logical. Sorry, but that's really nonsense. Or is there a plugin, which makes sense?

If there is no language content specific to the tanguage selected, Zenphoto will fall back to the "native" en_US if something exists there.

If you use a multilingual site properly it will of course matter. I explained why it is the way it is.

• wibbi Member

I understand it. I have to look for the code point myself.

• wibbi Member

Oh, now I got it. It is really multilingual. Only if the option is deactivated is it still stored in the array.

Photo title and description are always saved with the language abbreviation currently set. So, if multilingual disable, and if I change the language more often, then many language abbreviations are in the database. If I save a photo description that is already stored in en_US now with the setting de_DE, then no additional language will be added, but the language code will be changed. The display of the description is independent of it.
    So with multilingual disable it makes no sense.

There is a fallback to en_US if there are multiple languages. But if there is only one, no matter which, including others, then it will be displayed. A question that I am no longer really interested in, what happens if zenphoto is set to en_US and the photo description is available in German, French and Italian (without English). Which description will be displayed? ;)

OK, on ​​the whole it's a bit difficult to understand.

Thanks for the information.

• wibbi Member
    edited March 2018

But, there is a small mistake.
    If I change the language completely, so radio button and checkbox, for example, from English to German, so uncheck the checkbox English, and apply click, then the checkbox is still checked in English. I check the english checkbox again and click apply, then english is unchecked.

Yes, mulitlingual is complicated. There were surely different ways to do this and we went this way to keep it in one entry and not scatter each lang in the db (which surely had other disadvantages).

what happens if zenphoto is set to en_US and the photo description is available in German, French and Italian (without English). Which description will be displayed? ;)

I would actually have to look into the code or try myself actually. It might just use the next available. But this is a really odd setup as you should have only the languages you use (more or less). Code cannot solve any "wrong usage" ;-)

Regarding your checkbox issue: I cannot reproduce that on a live site.

• wibbi Member

Please help!
    I have found the code point, but i have no idea for a core hack.
    function process_language_string_save
    http://docs.zenphoto.org/source-function-process_language_string_save.html#2765-2794
    I will no return an array. I will return the $_POST[...] values. (see at the Topic here)

Sorry, it is really not necessary to hack this part…

• wibbi Member

Not for you, but for me.

Sure, feel free to hack whatever you need. That's open source. But remember if you have issues in using it, with plugins or with updates it is all your own risk.

• wibbi Member

For the purpose of correctness:
    https://github.com/zenphoto/zenphoto/issues/1140