Help with installation, and integration into wordpress

I am a photographer (www.fotografixs.com), but have very little computer knowledge, beyond photoshop. I really love the way that zenphoto looks and would like to integrate it into a 'project' blog. I recently downloaded wordpress, however I have not uploaded it yet. Is there a way to some how connect the two, or do I need to be a code wizard to do it? I would love any suggestions. You can also msn me at calvin@bust.com. It would be great to have someone walk me through the process. Thanks.

Comments

• trisweb Administrator
    It's relatively hard to get them in the same page, but if you just want to have both on the same site (like on my site, for example, with a link to my photos) it's relatively easy.

I am trying to discourage non-computer savvy users from using the beta release, as it still may have bugs and might need some technical knowledge to setup.
  • Yes, but wouldn't it be good to have a photograher to test it out, versus a computer wiz? I will try to figure it out on my own of course, however if I have trouble I may post back here for more advice, if that is alright. Thanks, your reply.
  • trisweb Administrator
    You're absolutely right, but if something goes wrong, you know...

You're absolutely welcome to try, I didn't mean to scare you off :) And yes, you're welcome to come back here for help if you need it.
  • I have wordpress installed, but I have not uploaded zenphoto yet. Is there a specific place I should up load zenphoto to or do I simply add the files with the WP ones. Forgive me for my ignorance.
  • I just installed zenphoto with Wordpress yesterday. I found the following post helpful:

WP Theme Integration

Follow the instructions closely. Also, to elaborate on Step 3 since you may need more detail:

First, it mentions using 'get_header()' and 'get_sidebar()'. I just used the get_header() because the sidebar uses too much room, in my opinion.

So, in the 'theme/default' directory you need to modify album.php, image.php, and index.php. You should add the following lines:

1) Just below the "<body> tag:

<?php get_header(); ?>

2) In the <head> section just under the <link> for the stylesheet, add the following:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_url'); ?>" type="text/css" media="screen" />

Finally, don' forget to modify the image.php file as described in step 4.

This seems to get most things working. Some of the WP styles conflict slightly, but not very much. Also, since the admin page isn't themed, it won't follow the WP theme. This isn't such a big deal, since users wouldn't see it anyway.
  • Mikeg, you rock!
  • I had no issues integrating zp with wp - ok well I had a few, but due to the modified version of wp I was using. Depending on the theme someone is using it may be beneficial to use the same SQL database with a prefix to house both the wp and zp installation. I ran in to a few conflicts by using separate db's on the commenting section.

Zen Photo absolutely rocks :) I love it. I think it looks fantastic integrated in to my blog.
  • oh, if anyone wants to see... slidenby.com/photo
  • Hey slidenby, nice site, great intergration!

Just one very small suggestion, I would align the title of your site so that it is on the same latitude between the homepage and the gallerypage.

I would also remove the 'Home' button on the sidebar, it's redundant.

Just some suggestions, I know you didn't ask for it, hope you don't mind.
  • Thanks, I'm aware of both things and one is actually the cause for the other :P There is an issue with the way the site title is displayed and aligned in the header - to solve it I added the home button and removed the linking from the title - decided that was a bad idea and switched it back, though the home button is still there. Fixing it is still up in the air, but it will result in a change one way or another. :)
  • Hey slidenby,

I like the drop down menu, excellent, set me thinking..
  • hello there
    I installed wp but gives the error below..can anyone help..of course i have a seperate DB for zenphoto..please help

WordPress database error: [Table 'myphotosqldatabase' doesn't exist]
    SELECT option_value FROM wp_options WHERE option_name = 'blogname' LIMIT 1
  • I couldn't view the page

http://www.noscope.com/journal/2005/09/zenphoto-08-released#comment-4569

Could someone copy and paste the instructions or something?

Thank you :)
  • i've just followed the same intructions posted by mikeg. didn't work this time round. i got this:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/gioloves/public_html/gallery/zen/template-functions.php on line 399

feel free to access my site: http://giolovesgod.com/gallery/ to see what i meant, thanks
  • the above post is with regards to zenphoto 1.0 beta and wordpress 2.0.

the integration was pretty decent when using mikeg's instructions for zenphoto 0.9 beta and wordpress 1.5.2.