thumbnails and cache. Error 403. ZP ver 1.3.

Hi,
I'm trying to run zenphoto 1.3.1.2 on my hosted server and I'm facing lots of issue with respect to all admin process which are supposed to generate thumbnails and populate cache (admin action like add/remove an album works ok)

I've got 403 error any time I want to generate thumbnails which is in line with a lot of posts in both french and english about permissions issue (depending on your host provider, OVH in this case). Workaround seems to be to manually set to 755/644 for folders/files after the setup. This is indeed mandatory for me to be able to run zenphoto, but not good enough for these cache/thumbnails admin processes to work. Cache is always empty, thumbnails are either pretendingly generated when it's run from the general overview page (just question marks are generated, cache empty) or not generated at all when call for a single album/image (403 error).

Any idea?

Thanks a lot for your support.

Daniel

Comments

• Thanks for your quick answer acrylian. I'd already had a look to this permission stuff, and it didn't change anything. But I've just realized I couldn't trust fillezilla about chmod stuff, so now I've reset all permission following your recommendation 755/644 using my Mac terminal, dropped all former album and recreate new one, and there is an improvement: cache is now populate with images. Good.
    But I still don't have my thumbnails (where are they supposed to be stored, by the way?) and can't execute any feature related to thumbnails (e.g. crop). I'm trying to define some more loose/restrict combination of permission on different folders (cache, cache_html, zp-data, zp-core), but I have to say after a few hours I'm ready to give up as there are many combination and none of them seems to work. As I'm trying to make systematic tests (I create a new album for every new combination) and this is very long process. Anything I could do in order to "close some doors"?
  • All "processed" images (which includes thumbnails) are store in the "cache" folder of your installation.

take a look at this entry http://www.zenphoto.org/2009/03/troubleshooting-zenphoto/#25, specifically about how to debut this kind of image failure.
  • OK, thanks sbillard. In my cache, giving the size of the files generated (about 100kb), I just have the "normal" view in it. Not the thumbnail. I guess every picture in the albums should be duplicated, with one very small picture for the thumbnail, correct?

Now for the debug you've suggested me to do:
    http://www.mysite.be/zenphoto/zp-core/i.php?a=brol5&i=img_4191.jpg&w=95&h=95&cw=95&ch=95&q=75&t=1&debug
    gives
    "You don't have permission to access /zenphoto/zp-core/i.php on this server"

It seems acrylian and you were right from the beginning and it has something to do with permissions, so we're back to my previous post... And it confuse me that I can execute some php scripts placed in zp-core folder and not other ones( though I don't understand anything about php language, as you probably already guessed)
  • You should look at the permissions on the individual files within the zp-core folder and be sure they are all set correctly. Also, it might be that your server is somehow configured so that it will not directly serve images from a script.

Still, the cache of the thumbnail should happen in that case and the problem would normally resolve itself once all the image thumbs were created. It is also unlikely that i.php is failing (or maybe it just started failing) to be run since the regular sized images seem to have been created.

You can enable Image Debug tracing by changing the define for "DEBUG IMAGE". I believe it is in a file named folder-definitions.php on the release you are running.

That option puts trace information in the Zenphoto Debug log.
  • Thanks sbilliard. I've checked individual files permissions in zp-core, it's all set to 644.

The server I use actually propose a module which automatically install an older version of zenphoto and which I used to run before (I may rollback to that previous version if I we can't solve this problem) so I doubt it has something to do with a functionality at the server level, unless you've completely changed the architecture of the program with version 1.3, which I don't think you did.

I've enable DEBUG_IMAGE (not in folder-definition.php but in basic-function.php) and have played a little bit with zenphoto and raise one or two errors. Don't see error messages in it, might be meaningful to you?

{Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:21:49 GMT} Zenphoto v1.3.1.2[5831]
    Loading PHP GD library bundled (2.0.34 compatible)
    i.php(test4sbillard, img_4192.jpg): $size=400, $width=, $height=, $cw=, $ch=, $cx=, $cy=, $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop=, $thumbstandin=, $passedWM=, $adminrequest=1, $gray=0
    cacheImage($imgfile=img_4192.jpg, $newfilename=/test4sbillard/img_4192_400_admin.jpg, $allow_watermark=, $force_cache=, $theme=zenpage) $size=400, $width=, $height=, $cw=, $ch=, $cx=NULL, $cy=NULL, $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop= $image_use_side=longest; $upscale=0;
    propSizes(400, , , 853, 1280, , longest, 267, 600)::$neww=267; $newh=400
    cacheImage:img_4192.jpg: $size=400, $width=, $height=, $w=853; $h=1280; $cw=, $ch=, $cx=, $cy=, $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop=, $newh=400, $neww=267, $dim=400, $ratio_in=, $ratio_out= $upscale=0 $rotate= $force_cache= $grayscale=0
    cacheImage:no crop img_4192.jpg:$size=400, $width=, $height=, $dim=400, $neww=267; $newh=400; $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop=, $rotate=; $allowscale=1;
    Finished:img_4192.jpg
    i.php(test4sbillard, img_4192.jpg): $size=400, $width=, $height=, $cw=, $ch=, $cx=, $cy=, $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop=, $thumbstandin=, $passedWM=, $adminrequest=1, $gray=0
    cacheImage($imgfile=img_4192.jpg, $newfilename=/test4sbillard/img_4192_400_admin.jpg, $allow_watermark=, $force_cache=, $theme=zenpage) $size=400, $width=, $height=, $cw=, $ch=, $cx=NULL, $cy=NULL, $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop= $image_use_side=longest; $upscale=0;
    cacheImage:img_4192.jpg: $size=400, $width=, $height=, $w=853; $h=1280; $cw=, $ch=, $cx=, $cy=, $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop=, $newh=400, $neww=267, $dim=400, $ratio_in=, $ratio_out= $upscale=0 $rotate= $force_cache= $grayscale=0
    cacheImage:no crop img_4192.jpg:$size=400, $width=, $height=, $dim=400, $neww=267; $newh=400; $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop=, $rotate=; $allowscale=1;
    i.php(test4sbillard, img_4192.jpg): $size=800, $width=, $height=, $cw=, $ch=, $cx=, $cy=, $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop=, $thumbstandin=, $passedWM=, $adminrequest=, $gray=0
    cacheImage($imgfile=img_4192.jpg, $newfilename=/test4sbillard/img_4192_800.jpg, $allow_watermark=1, $force_cache=, $theme=zenpage) $size=800, $width=, $height=, $cw=, $ch=, $cx=NULL, $cy=NULL, $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop= $image_use_side=longest; $upscale=0;
    propSizes(800, , , 853, 1280, , longest, 533, 1200)::$neww=533; $newh=800
    cacheImage:img_4192.jpg: $size=800, $width=, $height=, $w=853; $h=1280; $cw=, $ch=, $cx=, $cy=, $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop=, $newh=800, $neww=533, $dim=800, $ratio_in=, $ratio_out= $upscale=0 $rotate= $force_cache= $grayscale=0
    propSizes(800, , , 853, 1280, , longest, 533, 1200)::$neww=533; $newh=800
    cacheImage:no crop img_4192.jpg:$size=800, $width=, $height=, $dim=800, $neww=533; $newh=800; $quality=100, $thumb=, $crop=, $rotate=; $allowscale=1;
  • According to this log there was no i.php attempts made on thumbnails.

So, are you using one of the standard themes? If not please try one and see if the problem persists.

Any chance for a link to your site so we can take a first hand look?
  • Yes, I've already tried different themes (all supported) in order to see whether things improve... No change.

Of course, you can have a look, the gallery is quite empty for the moment, I'm just making some tests. I've just created an admin user sbillard/sbillard for you to access.

It is on ``
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    I can assure you that it is a permission issue. Safari's activity window reports "forbidden" on these links ``
  • Thanks acrylian, I fully agree this must be permission issue. Just can't figure out what I can do to solve this, I've already tried every solutions I could find on different forums including yours, I just go round in circles. The last thing I could try before if I give up is dropping this version, and run the automatic zenphoto 1.2 instal module provided by OVH, which used to work in the past. Then I could have a look to the files and folder permissions and see whether there is anything specific I could apply to 1.3 setup.
    Did you try to contect the host about this?

Of course if you use their installer we won't be able to support because of that and the older version at all after that.
  • OK, solved. You were right, this was due to configuration on the host . OVH provides somewhere a firewall which analyses incoming request to the http Apache server. Disable the firewall has solved the issue. I should have seen that from the beginning, I did not know that option did exist. I hope this will be useful to other OVH customers. I will try to install last zp version now.
    Could you please remove the url of my site from the above posts please? It's not a commercial site, I'm not looking for more visibility. Thanks again for your patience and help.
    Good that you solved it. I have removed both links above.