admin backend edit issues

Hello,
Zenphoto version 1.4.3.1 [10646] (Official build)
Current gallery theme: zpFocus v_1.4.3
For the past 2 days I have been experiencing difficulties when trying to edit albums and images. When I try to view an album or it's images, the edit page takes 10 to 15 minutes to load or sometimes truncates. (viewing and saving). The other features of the admin seem to respond normally. I tried selecting a single image for the albums instead of random and also set the image page to display only 5 images. That doesn't help. My host said their are no issues with the server and suggested I use their check and repair feature for my sql database and the optimize feature in phpmyadmin. I used those and everything checked out OK. I even re-run setup.
I haven't made any changes recently and the only errors in the logs are:
{Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:37:04 GMT}
Backtrace: NOTICE: Undefined variable: firstPageImages in /home6/advertk3/public_html/themes/zpfocus/search.php on line 126
include called
from index.php [92]
{Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:49:58 GMT}
Backtrace: WARNING: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home6/advertk3/public_html/zp-core/class-rss.php on line 1021
RSS->printRSSfeed called
from index.php [18]
I'm not sure of why I get these warnings because I haven't changed anything.
Any suggestions of how to fix the warnings and the admin edit would be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you! Renee

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    As always please try the latest release 1.4.3.3 at least or the nightly.
  • First error is a theme issue. Probably you do not have the latest version of the theme.

Second error is probably from a request for an invalid RSS feed.

Neither are from the back-end, so not the issue with the slow load.

When this failure happens, how much, if any, of the page gets displayed? If something is displayed, is it all at once or spread out over the time the page is loading?
  • As far as I know I have the latest version of my theme. And that is why I haven't upgraded yet. After I select a page of images to edit it takes minutes for an image to appear, then some html. Then very slowly another image appears and so on. Then after minimum 10 minutes the full page renders. When I make a change and apply the same happens. As I mentioned I reviewed all of this with my host and they are sure it isn't their issue, so they recommended I contact the developers.
  • There should be no theme issues upgrating from one support release to another, so upgrading from 1.4.3.1 to 1.4.3.3 should only fix bugs. But probably what you are seeing is not one of the fixes.

Can you capture the HTML while the page is still loading? It may help in figuring out where the slow-down comes from. Maybe posts the last 20 or so lines. Be sure to enclose with the back-tick character so it is listed as code. Otherwise the html will be executed and we won't see anything.
  • When I view source it is blank until the page loads.
  • I guess I do not understand. You did say that you get partial page displays. Then there must be some source or the browser does not have anything to display. Perhaps try a differnt browser.

Or capture a truncated page when one occurs.
  • I was looking at my CPU Throttling History at Bluehost, my hosting service and I have this warning: Warning
    During the past 24 hours your account has been throttled for a total of 25018.468 seconds. Could this be the reason?
  • I do not know what that means, but if your site has slowed you down, you would see the page rendering slow down as well. Of course, the question is why is the account throttled.

IMHO it is strange that your host has assured you that it is not their issue when this error is present.
  • Yes. They did not mention this. Now, I need to figure out what is causing the throttling. As I mentioned earlier, I have not changed the scripts or theme.
    Do you have very much traffic on your site? On some shared hosts they do these things if some site is "extensively" used to protect the others on the server. If one eats up all bandwidth the other won't work. On a normal site that basically should never happen. Your host should be able to answer what this is.
  • Hello, still trying to understand the issue on my site.
    The following information is what I learned about CPU Throttling:
    Throttling or Suspensions are usually caused by:
    Poorly coded Php scripts such as multiple nested loops, or infinite loops.
    Themes, Addons, or Plugins (if you just added a new component to your script, you may want to remove it to see if that new component caused your site to suddenly perform slowly)
    Queries that return inordinately large dataset results (eg: 100,000 records) in the Response object of a round trip to the server.
    Queries that take too long to execute due to heavy aggregation commands like SUM, COUNT over very large datasets without proper indexing.
    Queries that are doing complex unoptimized nested Joins.
    Queries that execute large batch commands like INSERTS, UPDATES, OR DELETES - these types of sql calls are 10 times more expensive and resource intensive than the SELECT query command.
    DDoS Attacks
    Any process that uses too much RAM, like a rogue cron job
    Too many simultaneous connections like Downloads, FTP, IMAP, or PHP

I contacted my host again and they monitored the site while I was logged in as admin and in the edit mode. They reported PHP spiking and again it took "forever" for the page to load. My PHP version is 5.2.17 and they suggested switching versions. "You might consider enabling php 5.2(fastcgi)" I did this, but it adds the following to my .htaccess file: # Use PHP5CGI as default
    AddHandler fcgid-script .php at the very top and I wanted to make sure that there are no conflicts with Zenphoto and this php version. "FastCGI for PHP makes all your PHP applications run through mod_fastcgi instead of mod_suphp. This eliminates the overhead of loading the PHP interpreter on every hit. Since it is always in memory ready for the next hit, the responses will be generated faster." Even if there are no conflicts, it still has not improved the performance.
    They also offer:

PHP 5.3 All files with the extension .php will be handled by the PHP 5.3 engine.
    Most reliable and compatible version of PHP.

PHP 5.3 (Single php.ini)
    Same as PHP 5.3, but all subdirectories will use ~/public_html/php.ini

PHP 5.4
    All files with the extension .php will be handled by the PHP 5.4 engine.
    Latest version of PHP.
    Note: Source Guardian and Zend Guard Loader not currently supported.

PHP 5.4 (Single php.ini)
    Same as PHP 5.4, but all subdirectories will use ~/public_html/php.ini

Again, I don't know if any of these versions would help or if they are compatible.

I understand it is not your responsibility to figure this out, but I thought you may have seen this before or have some other suggestions.

I will also upgrade and let you know if that solves anything. But I would like to know if the php version will cause a conflict so I can revert back to the original if necessary.

Again, thank-you for your time! Renee
    FastCGI is worth a try as my host uses that exclusively and being said to be faster. The current release has been tested up to php 5.3 right now so that should work fine

Do you have the visual album thumb selector disabled and also the thumb display on the album edit main list?
  • Yes, on the album edit main list. Is the visual album thumb selector on the image editing page?
    On the single album edit page. The option to disable the thumbs within that is on Options > Gallery > Gallery behaviour.
  • I see. I have never enabled this option. But I have always had thumbs displayed on the image editing page. I use Chrome. I even tried IE still thumbs display.
    Probably a missunderstanding, you cannot disable those thumbs.
  • Ok. No thumbs on the single album edit page and they are hidden on the album edit main list. As always.
    I will upgrade and see what changes.
  • All those PHP versions should be compatible. Not sure if they will help, though. We run PHP 5.4 in our test environments. But my hosted server has a version of PHP 5.2 that also works well.
  • Hello,
    I upgraded to Zenphoto version 1.4.3.3 [10980] (Official build) and my PHP version to 5.3.17 "Most reliable and compatible version of PHP" according to Bluehost. I was going to use PHP 5.4, but "Note: Source Guardian and Zend Guard Loader not currently supported" at Bluehost.
    Even switched browsers.
    And these changes didn't help.

MySql version is 5.1.66 the newest they have. PHP memory limit: 128M. My site seems to run fast for the visitor, just the backend editing is so slow. I'm out of ideas. Thank-you! Renee
  • Sorry that things did not improve. There really are no clues available to guess what the problem is. About the only thing at this point would be to instrument the scripts to log the time at various places and see where the time is being spent.

As well there is a possibility that your host has the PHP XDebug profiler available. That can collect execution statistics for the script but may not account for "wait" times, only for processor execution.
  • Thank-you. Also, I forgot to mention I purchased a dedicated IP yesterday, so I guess it isn't using a shared hosting service either. I'll check for a PHP XDebug profiler. Renee
  • Just FYI, a dedicated IP does not necessarily imply a dedicated server.
  • I believe I may have figured out my issue. I have around 10,000 images published. Each with multiple tags. If I delete all the tags from the database my edit pages load almost instantly. So I tried this, then restored the database with the tags and the very slow performance began again. Is there a way to disable the tags for the time I am in the edit mode without deleting them and restoring each time? Thank-you. Renee
  • Thanks for the detective work on this. At the moment there is not a way to disable the tags from the edit mode. But you can limit the number of images that display on the page, which may help.