Strange 500 server error coming back

Hello,

I have a strange 500 server error happening. It seems different than those found in the forum, so I create this new topic.

Here's what happening since several releases of Zenphoto (1.4.3.x):
Once I uploaded the files of the new version, I go to the index page, which tells me to run setup. So far, that's fine.
Then if I clic at the bottom of the page, I get an error 500. And even if I come back to the index page I get this error.
To remove the error, I must run this command: (I have shell access)
`chmod -R go-w /home/username/www/zenphoto`

The strange thing is that to upgrade, I must:
1. Upload the files
2. Run the command (chmod ...)
3. Open the index page
4. Run the command (chmod ...)
5. clic the bottom link.

Yes, I have to run it a second time, that's the strange thing.
When the files of a new zenphoto version have been put above the existing installation, accessing the index page requesting the upgrade seems to change the files permissions.
Once the upgrade has been done, everything was fine.

But now with version 1.4.4, things get worse:
I still have to go throught the steps above, but twice today I had to run the chmod command because the complete site was giving 500 errors.

My host is Linux Centos, Apache, PHP 5.3.18. Apache process is run by the user owning the files.
Tell me if you need more information.

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Once you get into setup you should also change its permissions settings.
  • Thanks sbillard, but I am not sure to understand.
    I can run setup fine (if running the chmod command), then the site is working. I can browse the albums, go to the admin, etc.

The problem is that I get server error 500 because of wrong permissions, and the permissions seem to be set wrong because of the Zenphoto setup.

Does the Zenphoto setup change files permission?
  • Setup has a setting for `File Permissions` roughly half way down the list. If that is not set correctly you could have the issue you describe.
  • hello,
    after I had problems with the registration for the admin area, I have decided to set up completely new ZP.
    Once all data has been deleted, ZP (1.4.4)was filled with new.
    Now I get 500 Internal Server Error.
    I will not even enter into the setup.
    Is available in the log file of 1und1:
    91.53.xxx.xx - [31/Jan/2013: 16:22:09 +0100] "GET / zenphoto / zp-core / setup / index.php HTTP/1.1" 200 - thw-youth-frankenberg.de "- "" Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv: 18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0 "" - "
    Global PHP Version: 5.2
    mysql: 5.0
    All files have 644 right, have the directories 755th
  • I do not know what 1und1 requres for file/folder permissions, perhaps someone else does. You can experiment and see what works, though. Or maybe someone can tell you what works for them.
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    I have only few experiences with the German division of 1and1 and that worked out of the box if I recall right. But to add that was not the current release.
  • with the installation of ZP 1.4.3.5 there were no problems. I have absolutely no idea of ??php, mysql and the like, I've deleted everything and ZP 1.4.3.5 uploaded.
    It runs great and I'm totally excited.
    Thank you very much