Embedded Youtube Videos no longer displaying on mobile devices

tplowe56 Member
edited January 2018 in General support

I have been using the "Basic" theme in conjunction with the "class-textobject" plugin to display videos that are hosted on Youtube. The text files and identically named jpeg thumbnail shots are put in a folder on my server and ZenPhoto has worked well creating an album of YouTube videos that will play embedded, where an image would normally display when clicking on the thumbnail.

I use the following code in a text file which references a YouTube video: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sNS-eQjn3WA?list=PLlcsMap1KHlX1ajPlhK8f_DH1ffxXdc-P" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This has worked fine for a number of years, but now the videos do not play on mobile devices, Android or IOS. Works fine on a PC using Chrome or FF. On mobile I just get the spinning buffering symbol but the YouTube video does not load.

I recently upgraded to an HTTPS server and I am wondering if this introduced the problem. Any one with ideas about what would have broken this?

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    edited January 2018

The textobject just uses that html provided, whatever embed code from whatever service you use.

Maybe those videos are still flv/flash that for some unknown reason have not been converted to mp4/webm? Flash of coure usually does not work well or not at all on mobile.

Do these videos work on mobile if you visit them directly on Youtube?

• Yes, they work fine if watched directly on YouTube. That's what is so odd. And they have worked fine for years. Can't figure out what could have changed in the last 6 months. I haven't really done anything to my ZP installation. I'll try a fresh folder containing the "Basic" theme.

• Ok, found the problem. I was using the the "mobileTheme" plugin, but also was using the Theme settings to apply the "Basic" theme to the Video Albums/sub albums only. I thought this used to override the mobileTheme plugin, but it seem to be operating the opposite now with the mobileTheme plugin taking precedent over the Theme setting.

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

The mobiletheme if set to a specific mobile theme to use alternatively overrides indeed completely actually. It is also not a generally 100% accurat way as it depends on browser sending the right header info. Which they can refuse or modify to pretend to be another.