Changing the language into german is not possible

Hello!

I just downloaded Zenphoto and the installation went through without any big problems, just one thing was with a questionmark when I ran the setup.php.

PHP mbstring package Your internal characater set is ISO-8859-1

Normally I thought this would bring no problems for me but now I hve the problem that I cant't change the language into german.
Running the setup.php there is german in the drop down box selectetd, but everything still is in english.

So I would be very happy if someone has some tipps for me how I will be able to change the language and if this has something to do with thembstring thing.

Thanks a lot!

Best

martin

Comments

• Did you get this error message?

PHP gettext() support [is not present]
    Warning!
    Localization of Zenphoto currently requires native PHP gettext() support

Also I can't translate Zenphoto in my language....
  • Hey!

Thanks for your help!

No I didn't get that message.
    There is:
    PHP gettext() support

So that workked fine...I have no idea why I have this language problem...
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    I have no idea, too. Mbstring is not related to that. I suggest you try to contact your host, maybe something with gettext() support is not setup correctly.
  • You could also try using the current nightly build of zenphoto. There are sometimes problems with FTP uploads not creating all the need language folders. The nightly build setup will insure that all is properly installed with that respect.
  • @sbillard

Are you saying I must update my 1.2.2 with the nightly build of zenphoto?
  • You of course do not have to. But maybe it will fix the problem.
  • Yeah I will do this! I will try it tomorrow in the morning again! And I will give you feedback if it worked!

Anyway the gallery seems to be fantastic as far as I have seen now!
    Really great!
  • Alright, I tried the nightly built now, but the problem still is there.
    So I will try to contact my host and ask him abut the gettext() configuration, if there might be something wrong.
    But I really don't know what exactly I should aks him...but I will give it a try!
    I suggest you also read this http://www.zenphoto.org/2008/08/troubleshooting-zenphoto/#24 and try the list_locales script that can be downloaded.
  • I ran the script and I became this:

Http Accept Languages:
    Key code coef morecode fullcode
    1.0-de de 1.0 de

Supported locales:
    C
    cs_CZ cs_CZ.iso88592
    czech
    da_DK da_DK.iso88591
    danish dansk
    de_DE de_DE@euro de_DE.iso88591 de_DE.iso885915@euro de_DE.utf8
    deutsch
    en_US en_US.iso88591
    es_ES es_ES.iso88591
    fr_FR@euro fr_FR.iso885915@euro
    german
    nl_NL@euro nl_NL.iso885915@euro
    pl_PL pl_PL.iso88592
    polish
    portuguese
    POSIX
    pt_PT pt_PT.iso88591
    ru_RU ru_RU.koi8r
    russian
    spanish
    sv_SE sv_SE.iso88591
    swedish
    tr_TR tr_TR.iso88599
    turkish

I think it looks a bit strange at the deutsch/german section, am I right?
  • I just phoned my host about that problem and they only told me that the support locale function is running and the gettext() thing is installed...they say there is nothing to do on the server side just the script (ZenPhoto) must have the problems...very strange...I think I will have to deal with the english language...
    I have no idea then, since I can't reproduce it (on two separate installs with German of course). We actually use gettext in a plain standard way, no special changes or the like.
  • I have no idea, too...well it is no big problem for me to deal with this...
    The only thing I can offer you is that you get my account details that you can look at the installation if this will help you!
    Not for me, for me it is ok to work with the english version!
  • martin.s:

Your script results are pretty standard. And, as you have been told, it appears that at least the Locale functionality is working. So it must be the gettext functions not working properly. Sorry, but I cannot guess why.
  • Well I tries a lot in the last days, a new installation and everything I found, but no way, it doesn't work.

But anyway the gallery is such a fantastic work that I will deal with the english language. The administration is no problem at all and I will switch off the search, so nobody will notice the english language!

@ all: Thanks a lot for your help!
  • It is quite funny, the server on which my websites are crushed today and my provider had to start everything new...since this the german language is working perfectly :)

So if someone has the same problem as I had, tell your provider to crush the system ;)
    Joke aside, this only showed to me that there was the Locale functionality not running properly and since the reboot everything wis working now...so tell your provider that if you have trouble with the language that they should check the Locale functionality and do something like a restart with it...
  • I have somehow the same problem. setup.php says:

`
    PHP gettext() support
    PHP setlocale() failed
    Warning! Locale functionality is not implemented on your platform or the specified locale does not exist. Language translation may not work.
    See the troubleshooting guide on zenphoto.org for details.
    `
    So I checked the list_locales.php, it says:

`
    Http Accept Languages:
    Key | code | coef | morecode | fullcode
    1.0-de | de | 1.0 | de | de_de
    0.8-de | de | 0.8 | de
    0.5-en | en | 0.5 | us | en_us
    0.3-en | en | 0.3 | en
    `
    But unfortunately I have no idea what this tells me. :) Shoul I contact my host or is there any way to activate the german locale by "hardware-jumper"? I tried to rename the locale-folders but of course this did not work. :)

I should add, that de_DE is shown as German (Germany) in the drop-down-box in ZENphotos admin backend. So it somehow get's the information about the language but it still cannot be applied.
    I suggest you contact your host.
  • Language translations REQUIRE the gettext() and setlocale() functions to work. So, as the warning said, language translation may not work.

ListLocales tells you what your browser requrests. You have to get your host to configure locales and gettext to get any language other than English.
  • Hey there, I solved the problem. I contacted the support and they told me that the locale was called de_DE@EURO, now it works. Do you have any idea why this wasn't listed by the list_locales.php?
  • I have no idea why it would not be listed. The list is got from the command `locale -a`