Two viewers groups with different album rights?

Hello,

As simple as that. Is it possible that two different viewers groups can be assigned different album rights?

e.g. albums: a1, a2, a3, a4
viewer group #1 can see a1, a2, a4
viewer group #2 can see a3, a4

I've created two viewers groups but managed albums does not seem to be an option to manage album rights in the way I intend. Any tip is appreciated in advanced.

Greetings!

Comments

• but managed albums does not seem to be an option to manage album rights in the way I intend
    Of course I have no idea of what in the way [you] intend means. But if the simple example you show is what you want, it does work just that way.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your support. I'll give further details in an attempt to make thigs clearer.

My gallery settings are:

(latest update) Zenphoto version 1.4.2.1 [9138] (Official Build)
    Current locale setting: en_US.UTF8
    Current gallery theme: Default
    PHP version: 5.3.9
    Graphics support: PHP GD library bundled (2.0.34 compatible)
    PHP memory limit: 128M (Note: Your server might allocate less!)
    MySql version: 5.0.51

plugin:
    user_groups v1.4.2

My gallery group, user and album settings:

groups:
    viewers_family
    viewers_friends

users:
    user dad assigned to viewers_family
    user mom assigned to viewers_family
    user brother assigned to viewers_family

user mike assigned to viewers_friends
    user ann assigned to viewers_friends

albums:
    only viewers_family group members should see album_family
    only viewers_friends group members should see album_friends
    any viewers_family or viewers_friends group members should see album_friends_and_family

Now, group viewers_friends in configured with no rights at all but the 'view gallery' Gallery right. Managed albums album_friends and album_friends_and_family have been assigned to group viewers_friends where the edit album checkbox is unchecked in both cases. The three albums are published as viewers in different groups are expected to be able to have access to them.

However, users mike and ann are not restricted to those two albums (album_friends and album_friends_and_family) but album_family is displayed to them too.

I appreciate your reading time and support again.

Greetings,
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    Please post exactly what rights these user groups have assigned additionally to the managed albums list. Perhaps you accidentally assigned a right that overpowers that list.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your support once more. Here it is:

Group viewers_family:
    Rights:
    -Albums:
    --view fullimage unchecked
    --view albums unchecked
    --upload unchecked
    --manage all albums unchecked
    -Gallery:
    --view gallery CHECKED
    --view search unchecked
    --post comments unchecked
    --comments unchecked
    --files unchecked
    --themes unchecked
    --tags unchecked
    -General
    --overview unchecked
    --options unchecked
    --admin unchecked
    -Assign users:
    dad, mom, brother
    --Managed albums
    album_family - edit album unchecked
    album_friends_and_family - edit album unchecked

Group viewers_friends: (same settings as group viewers_family but the assign users and managed albums)
    Rights:
    -Albums:
    --view fullimage unchecked
    --view albums unchecked
    --upload unchecked
    --manage all albums unchecked
    -Gallery:
    --view gallery CHECKED
    --view search unchecked
    --post comments unchecked
    --comments unchecked
    --files unchecked
    --themes unchecked
    --tags unchecked
    -General
    --overview unchecked
    --options unchecked
    --admin unchecked
    -Assign users:
    mike, ann
    --Managed albums
    album_friends - edit album unchecked
    album_friends_and_family - edit album unchecked

Greetings,
    Thanks, looks good so far (unless I missed something). So next question how are the two albums in question setup? If they are just published that of course does not work. So before we discuss further please read this if you haven't:
    http://www.zenphoto.org/news/an-overview-of-zenphoto-users#rules
  • Hello,

Firstly, I should have added Zenphoto gallery was set up as private gallery so Zenphoto--Option--Gallery--Gallery type was set to private.

Your hint has been useful indeed. Actually, the moment I read your third sentence it was all clear in my mind. I have read the Rules of protection and visibility for Zenphoto objects a number of times but somehow every time I took for granted that passwords would result in the user having to type an additional password to access the album.

In order to clear this/my confusion and help out other Zenphoto users, I've partly rewritten the section (draft-like). If you'd like some support from a Zenphoto user standpoint, this is the way I would put it:

----------
    Galleries can be either public or private.

In a public gallery there are four possible states of an object as described below. Logged on Zenphoto users may have rights that override local password protection and published state. See above.
    1.- Published/not password protected: Any one can see these items
    2.- Not published/not password protected: People have to "know about" these items to view them. (That is they need to know the URL, they will not show in menus if the visitor does not have the appropriate credentials.)
    3.- Published/password protected: People will know of these items (they will show in menus) but not be able to access them without the password.
    4.- Not published/password protected: These are truely restricted to "logged in users". They require the appropriate credentials to access or see in menus.

Private galleries are equivalent to having all objects password protected. In a private gallery objects can be granted any of the four possible states listed above.

The use of the groups plugin alongside setting a gallery private can allow the admin to set different permissions for different albums based on group membership. For a private gallery hosting different groups and album permissions to be properly configured, all albums must be set as unpublished. Thus, only users/groups with permission to access a given album would be allowed to view/edit it. If, in this context, the status of an album were set to published, any user/group would be able to access it. For global privacy and local access permissions to apply, objects should only be allowed the following state:

Album unpublished/ password-protected gallery: These are truely restricted to "logged in users". They require the appropriate credentials to access or see in menus.
    ----------

Greetings,
    Thanks, very appreciated. We welcome any contribution like this, sadly that happen not that often.

We will take a closer look (I am lacking the time right now), especially my colleague sbilliard, the user rights author.
  • This does look good. We will incorporate it into the documentation. Please feel free to contribute to other parts of our docments that need clarification.

Unfortunately it is almost impossible for developers to write documentation that is unambiguous to "normal" users. Developers always "know" how things should work so leave out or over simplify the writeup. Unfortunately we have no "documentors" as part of our team.

Just a note. It would be best if you would create a ticket with this note so that we are sure it does not get forgot. I am not able to make the update now, and while I hope I will remember, the only way to be sure is to have this in the tracking system.
  • Thank you for your comments. Glad to provide some (minor) support/help. Ticket is open now.