duplicate tags displayed

I have added keywords to my photos, so as to be able to use Dynamic Albums (a feature that absolutely ROCKS by the way). That part works great. Oddly, the tags displayed below an image are duplicated in some (most) but not all the cases. I don't know how I could have applied the same tag multiple times to an image. I have refreshed the metadata and the database from the dashboard and cleared my browser's cache. The symptom persists.

ZP Version 1.4.3, using the default theme.

As an example, an image with embedded tags activities, winter and skating might have the following displayed underneath it:
activities activities winter winter skating skating

The vexing thing is, this doesn't happen for all images. When I go to an image that behaves this way (as an admin, in the dashboard) and expand "additional fields" sure enough there are duplicate copies of the tags, checked. I really don't want to go through hundreds of images one at a time.

Any thoughts on how and why some images behave this way while others don't? Is there any global setting I might have missed to prevent duplicate tagging?

I apply the keywords in Adobe Bridge before uploading (by FTP), if that matters.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Steve

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    Did you review the tags tab on the admin if these tags maybe are exisiting as duplicated (maybe a space sneaked in or something)?
  • snlsn Member
    Hmmm. No, I'll try that. Thanks for the tip. I went directly to the individual images. I haven't been much of a "tagger" prior to this undertaking, so I'm busy learning new aspects of ZenPhoto. Thanks. I'll investigate. I don't know how to examine a jpeg for its metadata, so I didn't know what else to try.
  • snlsn Member
    No obvious clues there, but a hint. Currently this project consists 422 images (all saved in one "real" album and organized by Dynamic Albums), but in the Tag window of the admin one tag is listed as appearing 566 times.

Interesting.

I used EXIFTool on a jpeg that has the duplicates and one that does not and could see no obvious difference.

I was interested to note though that Bridge inserted three metadata attributes, named
    Keywords, Subject and Hierarchical Subject. The first two carry identical data. The third prepended the keyword itself with the string "Stock Keywords|" ("Stock Keywords" being an organizational setup I made within Bridge.)

This ZenPhoto project is in the early stages of development and it would NOT in any way be a catastrophe to dump everything and start over again (grasping at straws that somehow some images got their keywords registered twice?). Does that make sense to do? If I were to do this, what's the cleanest way to flush the database to purge it of everything in preparation for starting over?
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    So it added the same tag all over again. I would say please open a ticket with all details so we or specifically my colleague sbillard being the expert can take a look later. Maybe also attach one or two images.

Sidenote: I have Bridge CS3 currently and I never get it to embed metadata at all, unless I re-save an image in Photoshop. Never figured out what the reason for this odd behaviour is. But since I rarely use metadata
  • snlsn Member
    Hi.
    First of all, can I just say that you guys (and ZenPhoto) are awesome!
    Seriously.

So, I'd be willing to open a ticket (even though I've never done that and don't know how to) but first I'd rather rule out the possibility that I did something stupid.
    Is there a "best practice" method for nulling out the database and starting over from a clean slate? I know I can delete an album from the admin dashboard. If I do that and then refresh the database will that wipe all the current data, or is there a better way to do so?

I'm thinking that if I can start from a clean slate and the problem persists, I'll figure out how to open a ticket. But I don't want to do that until I'm sure it's not me causing the symptoms.

(I'm addid the keywords with Bridge CS5 BTW, which has been pretty solid for the modest keywording we do.)

Steve
  • You can drop tables from a MySQL admin interface. You will need to re-run setup to recreate any tables dropped. Then it is a good idea to do a "database refresh" operation from the Zenphoto admin overview page to be sure that nothing has been left dangling.

If you do open a ticket be sure to attach an image which demonstrates the problem. We are unlikely to be able to reproduce it otherwise.
  • snlsn Member
    I deleted all albums, and all the images. I then refreshed the metadata and database via the admin interface and then did a re-install of the whole thing, images included. The issue seems to have resolved itself (at least that's my preliminary impression). Odd things happen, I guess. Sorry to have bothered you, but thanks for your help and interest.
    Steve