Albums Tab for Users

Hi, new to using the system, and am setting up a gallery setting for multiple users.

How do I put the settings so a user can see the album tab to organize and edit contents of the albums they are assigned, without giving them access to other users albums as well? If the rights box 'manage all' is checked they can access all, but if it isn't the album tab isn't showing up. They can upload and create new albums, but once it's there they can't see the pages to edit titles or descriptions, or rearrange the images.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there a plugin that I should be using? I tried playing with the user groups plugin but didn't see anything different?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Tim

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    Do do so you have to assign the user to specific albums on its user account. For performance reasons as Zenphoto being file system based with albums that can only be for top level albums.

Please see the article about the rights management on the user guide.
  • The user is assigned an album, they are assigned edit rights, but there is no album tab to allow them to edit the contents of their album.

Here is an image of the user page and their tabs.

http://toyanimal.info/gallery/albums/tiermann/untitled-1.jpg

Is there no way to force the album tab for a user, like on local settings or php files?
  • There should be checkboxes on the primary album like there are on "kikimalou". How was this primary album setup? And, of coruse, the perenial question--what version of Zenphoto are your running and how was it installed?
  • My version info:
    Zenphoto version 1.4.3 [10393] (Official build)
    Current locale setting: en_US.UTF8
    Current gallery theme: Zenpage
    PHP version: 5.3.10
    Graphics support: PHP GD library bundled (2.0.34 compatible)
    supporting: gif, jpg, jpeg, png, bmp
    PHP memory limit: 96M (Note: Your server might allocate less!)
    MySql version: 5.0.92

For installation I uploaded the unzipped files into my root/gallery folder, then did the setup and linked to the MySQL db.

So far the users have all been set up by the Master account. The register_user plugin is not turned on.
  • Your user as shown in the picture you link to has no albums for which he has been granted rights to edit. Therefore he will not have any albums tab.
  • I have dowloaded the tarball version, unzipped an reloaded the entire zp-core folder in case there was an error during the original upload. Everything looks the same.

In the first picture you can see that the users primary album with the star next to the album name has the box checked. There are no other boxes on that line to check.
    How do I grant rights to this user to edit their primary album?

Here is a second picture,

http://toyanimal.info/gallery/albums/test/notab2.jpg

after messing about with multiple album assignments the user now has two albums assigned, one with the upload and edit rights boxes showing and checked. Still no album tab.

I've tried this with both Firefox and IE in case it was a browser issue but it all looks the same in both.
    First you should at least have one master user that has all the rights. You have only one user without. Then create others that have limited.
  • There is a Master account. All of the Albums are users that were created from the Master account. Here is the same user seen from the Master account.

http://toyanimal.info/gallery/albums/test/user-from-master.jpg

Note that if an Album name has it's box checked the Edit and Upload check boxes show up on the next line
      below
    the checked album. In this case two albums are checked so the Edit and Upload checkboxes show up on the next two albums down. Even when the Album, Upload, and Edit boxes are all showing and checked on a line that user still does not have an Album tab.

The user does have Upload tab, and image upload works, but after loading the user stays on the Uploads tab. When the Master account uploads it takes them to the Album tab immediately after an upload.

Should I try downloading an older version, perhaps 1.4.2.4, and replacing the zp-core folder?

--
    I have been a Flickr user for years, and have tried other gallery softwares. I like ZenPhoto the best of any I have tried, so I am being persistent with figuring out what my problem is. If it wasn't so good I would have dropped it and moved on to some other software. If it would be helpful at all I would be happy to send you the login and passwords of the Master and User account so you can see from the inside if it matches a normal setting. I have tried all combinations of box checking I can think of and believe I have some software bug, perhaps related to my setup or db settings. It could be operator error, but obviously if it is I am still missing what that might be.
    Thanks for you assistance with this, I would really like to make it all work for our needs. - Tim
  • I have no idea how the edit boxes can show up on the wrong line. Not something that happens for me.

But, if you wish to try an older version (probably will make no difference) you need to install the complete set of files, not just the core folder.

As to the user staying on the upload tab after the upload, that ususally is a sign that some error occurred on the upload. Check error logs for some problem being reported. Also try different upload methods to see if some work and some do not.
  • Well I decided to try starting over. I created a whole new directory, loaded the most recent version from the tarball, created an all new MySQL DB and linked it all up.
    It all works fine now. The only thing that didn't change was the edit and upload check boxes still showing up down a line from where they should be. When checked they work though. I am thinking it might be some CSS thing. Whatever it is it's something that I can live with.
    Thanks again for your help, sorry to have been a pain, Tim
    The wrong display for you might be a browser issue. Which one do you use? We primarily test on the latest (mac/win) since you cannot easily install different versions side by side.
  • I am using Firefox 13
    It looks like in IE the boxes line up correctly so that part must be a browser issue.

I spoke too soon. It was all working correctly last night. I logged in and did some things as the Master account this morning, and when I got to work and tried logging in as the user account it was back to not having the album tab. When I uploaded an image it didn't take me to the details for that but stayed on the upload page. The album tab is gone in both Firefox and IE.

Is there something that can be done from the MySQL Db side? I see the table for users and there is a Rights field. The value for the user account is 6746089.
    Is there something there I can try changing?

I really don't know what I could have done that would have broken things. When logged in as Master I did create a new sub-album of the User album and upload images to it. The Album owner is set correctly on the Album page though, it was set to the Master account for the subfolder at first but I changed that to the User account.
  • Could there be a proxy server getting in the way of your access from work? I really do not know how it could work, then not work over a period of time unless something you did with the master account might have affected it.

The database stuff is much too complex to be a reasonalbe approach. What happens if you give the user manage all rights? Does he then get an album tab? If you take the right away does the tab then go away?

Only other thing I can think of is to use the user-groups plugin and assign the user to the "album managers" group and see if that makes a difference. You will still have to be sure he has the appropriate albums checked in his list.
  • Hi, wasn't a proxy server. Manage All would cause the album tab to show up but then it would go away if that right was taken back.
    Thanks for the user groups suggestion. I ended up creating a group for just the one user with the necessary rights and then assigned the user to it. It seems to be working fine that way from multiple locations now. Is there any limit on the number of user groups than can be created? If not then I can just put each user in their unique group.
    Still no idea what caused the problem but this workaround seems to do the trick. Thanks again,
    Tim
    It does not make much sense to have dozens of groups with just one user each actually. Then you could assign the rights on the user account directly as well. But if that is the only way it works for you. But still something is not working correctly.
  • I am not expecting a huge number of accounts right off so we'll see how it develops. I will check periodically to see if it's resolved, not knowing what broke it I may accidentally fix it as well. I'm sure if it's not unique to my configuration then someone else will come along with the same problem. So far it seems to be just me, so that's fine. It's coexisting in a sub-directory with a Wiki at the root level and other sub-directories with a Wordpress blog and a forum. Somehow I broke my root directory server calls with a mail form this morning, managed to back it out and resolve it with a new sub-directory. All a new adventure.
  • You can also create "templates" like groups, but once a user is assigned the template he is then disconnected from it. That might be an alternative.