ZpBase - long time loading

I'd installed zpbase and observe that every page is loading very long (aprox. 2-8second).
Anyone know what could be the reason of that?

you can check it -> http://gallery.may.net.pl

Comments

• gjr Member
    The theme is creating the custom image sizes on the fly. Once these are created your site speed is just fine. On pages that seem slow, the images probably have not been created yet. You can use the cache plugin to pre-create the images if you like, but it is not neccessary, as the site is browsed they are created in the cache.
  • It's seems like it didn't work for me. I cashed all photos and still this same.
    When I used Basic template time was really shorter.
  • Hi Myamar,

compared the loading times of your site with my site which is also zpbase.
    Firebug (Network tab) showed me a loading time of 8,4 sec for the homepage.
    Mine with "Smooth div scroll" enabled at the homepage is 4,2 sec.

What makes me wondering:
    It is just the index page which loads slow.
    Do you have done some modifications with the code - i have noticed that there is some code for adsense.
  • yes, I only add adsense code - not other modification.
    I commented adsense code so now is without any modification
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    The site feels generally a bit slow for me but the index is really by far slowest. While external code like adsense can cause this if its server hangs it is rather unlikely.

I see you have the static_html_cache enabled but normally the source code should note that it served it. This is not the case here. Please take a look at the plugin's options if the expiration option really is set.
  • "Please take a look at the plugin's options if the expiration option really is set."
    Where I can find it? You mean expired date in static_html_cache plugin? i'v got it empty so should take default time (24h)
    Yes, I mean that expired date. If you have the default values as indicated in the comment it should actually work.

Please take a look at either the `/cache_html` folder on your webspace where you installed Zenphoto and also review your error logs. Maybe the files are not created for some reason.

Especially with the plugin enabled the site should not be that slow.
  • I'd checked cache_html - there was some files. I delete it and observe if zen make new one - it did new one. So should it work correctly.
    It should. I very well might be just that your server is slow for some reason. If you say another theme is faster hopefully gjr will have any idea.
  • Well I clicked for few minutes and observe what happened during loading this same page. Loadtime was jumping from below 1s to over 10 s on this same page. As you wrote acrylian probably its the server problem - I report it to my hoster. thx.
  • It's all the javascript.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
    Will show you that nothing is minified, compressed, and that render-blocking JavaScript is really slowing things down. Not to mention that the site itself doesn't pass much validation so the browser is doing a lot of guesswork by itself while parsing what the server spat at it.

The theme is pretty, and honestly the best I've seen, for simple, professional themes, but the coding could be improved. Don't forget also that between the html, css and js, plus any image loaded on the page, is quite a lot of file size, no matter your connection speed. I would really like to see this theme redone with modern code (`
    I am not familiar with the theme but I just ran the site through the w3 validator. It is not valid but the "errors" listed are quite minor. Mostly the closing of self closed elements.

Somehow the static_html_cache is not working correctly on that site as otherwise it should be much faster after being cached.

`` and `` instead of `` menus
    You mean `
  • I found other galleries based on zpbase template. When I looked at source code generated in web browser I saw this:
    for first gallery:
    <!-- zenphoto version 1.4.6 [bbddab76753e1d753a54ead4eb74b41d7d46cf73] THEME: zpbase (index.php) GRAPHICS LIB: PHP GD library bundled (2.0.34 compatible) { memory: 96M } PLUGINS: legacySpam rss security-logger site_upgrade userAddressFields zpCaptcha -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing end:3.8342 seconds -->

for second:
    <!-- zenphoto version 1.4.6 [bbddab76753e1d753a54ead4eb74b41d7d46cf73] THEME: zpbase (index.php) GRAPHICS LIB: PHP GD library bundled (2.1.0 compatible) { memory: 128M } PLUGINS: GoogleMap contact_form hitcounter legacySpam security-logger site_upgrade tinyURL userAddressFields zenphoto_sendmail zpCaptcha -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing end:1.8045 seconds -->

for third:
    <!-- zenphoto version 1.4.6 [bbddab76753e1d753a54ead4eb74b41d7d46cf73] THEME: zpbase (gallery.php) GRAPHICS LIB: PHP GD library bundled (2.1.0 compatible) { memory: 128M } PLUGINS: bxslider_thumb_nav comment_form dynamic-locale image_effects legacySpam menu_manager security-logger site_upgrade tinyURL userAddressFields viewer_size_image zenpage zpCaptcha -->
    <!-- Zenphoto-Skript-Ausführung end:3,1379 Sekunden -->

and i checked what my gallery report:
    <!-- zenphoto version 1.4.6 [bbddab76753e1d753a54ead4eb74b41d7d46cf73] THEME: zpbase (index.php) GRAPHICS LIB: PHP GD library bundled (2.1.0 compatible) { memory: 512M } PLUGINS: PHPMailer contact_form dynamic-locale html_meta_tags ipBlocker security-logger simpleSpam sitemap-extended slideshow static_html_cache tag_suggest zpCaptcha -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing end:7,6040 seconds -->

What's inside script that on my gallery it works worse than on others even when I have much more memory? is it really problem in template? maybe some scripts aren't optimized? I have almost 3000 photos in gallery is it that problem?
  • fretzl Administrator, Developer
    Have you tried disabling plugins to see if maybe one of them is causing the issue?
    3000 images should not be a problem itself but not easy to answer for us. If the static html cache is running correctly you should be much faster normally (only if not logged in!). But none of the sites cited seem to use it as other wise there would be a note like this instead:
    ``

But try what Fretzl suggests in any case. Also take a look here if you haven't:
    http://www.zenphoto.org/news/problems-with-albums-and-images
  • @fretzl
    I disabled all plugin and nothing help.

@acrylian
    so when i have running plugin static_html_cache I should have reported time for it in my code (browser code)? if yes that's really wired because I have static_html_cache enabled and nothing like you post not appear.

What I saw - when I run page without photos it loading fast and it doesn't matter is it on frontend or on backend
  • Ok, I think I found quilt.
    fast look at index.php and saw that there were commented timers to count time of loading each part of page. Results:
    <!-- zenphoto version 1.4.6 [bbddab76753e1d753a54ead4eb74b41d7d46cf73] THEME: zpbase (index.php) GRAPHICS LIB: PHP GD library bundled (2.1.0 compatible) { memory: 512M } PLUGINS: contact_form dynamic-locale html_meta_tags ipBlocker security-logger seo_locale sitemap-extended static_html_cache tag_extras tag_suggest tinyURL zenphoto_sendmail zpCaptcha -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing require:0,5373 seconds -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing controller:0,0009 seconds -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing theme setup:0,0015 seconds -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing load tag_suggest:0,0475 seconds -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing load tag_extras:0,0003 seconds -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing load html_meta_tags:0,0003 seconds -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing theme scripts:0,0000 seconds -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing theme script load:6,5516 seconds -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing expose information:0,0002 seconds -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing end:0,0001 seconds -->
    <!-- Zenphoto script processing total:7,1396 seconds -->

Longest load = theme script.
    So as SilverSnake wrote template should be optimized...
  • So as SilverSnake wrote template should be optimized...
    SilverSnake appears to be indicating that the serving of the page is the issue (`nothing is minified, compressed, and that render-blocking JavaScript is really slowing things down...`) BUT, the times shown by those timers are server side times and totally independent from what happens on the browser.

Rather, something in the script is doing too much PHP processing.
  • I get today report from my hoster;

"You will find here the result of execution
    of your site gallery.may.net.pl on the
    server hosting you :

FINAL REPORT

--> Executed Successfully

First Test (strace)

CGI app load Time = 0.031 seconds

Total NFS Read File : 7 (took: 7.6e-05 s)
    Total NFS Write File : 0 (took: 0 s)
    Total NFS Stat/Access File : 86 (took: 0.00039 s)
    Total NFS Delete File : 0
    Total NFS Create Dir : 0
    Total NFS Delete Dir : 0

Total NFS Lock : 0
    Total TCP (HTTP, ...) requests : 0 (SQL ignored)
    Total TCP (HTTP, ...) requests time : 0.000000 seconds
    (SQL ignored)

SQL select requests : 0
    SQL update requests : 0
    Total SQL Time = 0.000 seconds (0)
    Slowest SQL request (0.000 seconds) is

As you can notice on this result, the server executes
    correctly your site without any slowness."

looks like problem solved - now I have response time below 1s.
    Thanks for the info.
  • I finally found what caused the page was loading up almost 10 seconds. In the options when I select the "Select Drop Box" to chosen script - it makes the page loads almost 10 seconds. When I turn it off (select none) the page loads in less than 1 second. gjr maybe you look at it :-)
    That's actually part of the print_album_menu plugin in drop down mode. It actually lists all albums and all levels so that does some work indeed. We'll take a look if that can be optimized, it's quite old in parts and this is the first complain :-)
  • THX acrylian :-)