EXIF Data - how to display time of day

I previously had modified some code so the EXIF "Original Time Taken" included date and time. Now with zpBootstrap I only get Date displayed. Is this something I modify in the ZP code or in the Theme code? I forgot how I did this. Thanks.

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

There are options what meta data should be shown, assuming the theme uses the standard functions for this.

• Acrylian, my database clearly has the time of day stored but the array in zpcore code seems to be stripping off the time of day before it is presented by themes. Not a single theme shows the Time of Day. All themes only show date.

Alt text

• Sometimes I will reference the Time taken when I revisit a certain location again, and I am evaluating the light/time of day.

edited February 2019

You wrote:

I previously had modified some code so the EXIF "Original Time Taken" included date and time.

You mean you hacked a core file or you modified on the theme? In any case there is a standard image meta data function (search the documentation or template-functions.php for the right name). What it displays on the theme is set on the related options.

Generally EXIF is not a real standard and camera vendors often do their own thing. Might be the case here. We haven't changed anything significant in EXIF handling for some time.

• Not sure what I did, I can't find any reference in my files, or posts here on this forum. I do know that in zpArdoise I used to have the full field of the Original Time Taken displayed, now it only displays the Date.
    Thanks.

The field is in any case a EXIF field that exists by default in the database. I can only assume you haven't enabled it for dispaly. Or it is not imported which is also a setting and therefore not shown

• What is odd, is that every theme shows only the first 1/2 of the fields below, date, but not the time, on the front end, but the time is showing in the back end. Metadata fields are correctly selected in the back end.

There is no theme option to show only part of a metadata field, so why does it happen so consistently?

case '0132': $tag = 'DateTime'; break; // YYYY:MM:DD HH:MM:SS
    case '9003': $tag = 'DateTimeOriginal'; break;// YYYY:MM:DD HH:MM:SS
    case '9004': $tag = 'DateTimeDigitized'; break; // YYYY:MM:DD HH:MM:SS

Metadata in my images is formatted exactly as is shown in the code above from exif.php

There is no theme option to show only part of a metadata field, so why does it happen so consistently?

I honestly cannot answer. We did change the type of metadata fields in 1.5.1 as there was an add character limit of 32 chars that is not fitting anymore:

image metadata fields now use general db column sizes since some classic EXIF 32 char limits make no real sense anymore: Numbers/time type use varchar(255), string type use mediumtext. The old actual size definition of the definition in $_zp_exifvars is ignored.

But if you say the backend shows it correctly that cannot be the issue. We'll try to reproduce this.

• Wondering if you guys ever had a chance to look into this? I have everything perfected on my site, this is the last issue I'd like to fix.

edited April 2019

Sorry, this apparently got lost within other stuff… Please send me an image via mail so I can try with the same data you have.

• Malte, Thanks you were correct.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the images. I will look at the image info function after Easter. But looking at the display I have something you could check meanwhile already: Did you check the date format set on the options? You find those on Options > Gallery > Date format.

I found the setting at Options > General > Date Format. Sorry I don't remember ever seeing that option, but it was there right in front of me the whole time. It looks like I can customize to 12 hr time too.

Thanks so much!! Sorry for taking your time with this.

• tplowe56 Member
    edited April 2019

Using the custom field:

%B %d, %Y %l:%M %P = March 17, 2019 6:24 pm

For anyone who is interested in displaying a 12hr format

Glad it was that easy! No problem, believe me this happens to us as well every now and then ;-)