Replacing Ktools Photostore with ZenPhoto

Was quite happy with Ktools, but the developer has ceased work on it. Trying to find a replacement. Koken looked nice and then died. CMSAccount is nice but it doesn't match the user access I need yet.

Is Zen Photo the solution? Wading through all the different plug-ins is a massive chore.

I have hundreds of users with their own passwords, and I can put them into categories to control access to galleries. They sign up and then I assign them to categories and send them a welcome email.

The galleries need to be able to limit access to selected categories. A nice to have but not critical is the ability to show a price for downloads but then be able to wave that cost for customer groups.

Would also be nice to import images from another directory on my server rather than upload all over again.

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    edited June 2019

Is Zen Photo the solution?

We really can't answer this for you as we are neither familiar with Koken nor Ktools Photostore or CMSAccount which I both never even heard of.

Beforehand: If "Photostore" implies that you need any store functionality Zenphoto is probably not for you as besides a older third party PayPal plugin nothing for this exists (and is not planned either).

In the end you will have to try as it all depends on your needs. You will for sure have some work to do in any case. Especially if you need to import hundreds of users and perhaps content/data entered content from your previous install.

You find an overview about the rights management available here:
    https://www.zenphoto.org/news/an-overview-of-zenphoto-users/

Would also be nice to import images from another directory on my server rather than upload all over again.

Zenphoto is file system based so you can just drop folders with images and/or further sub folders into the main root albums folder to import them. But this will just import the image as is. If you need to transfer data from any database it naturally will not be included. https://www.zenphoto.org/news/caching/

I hope this helps for the start.