Adding tags using 'bulk actions' - problem

We sometimes get large batches of images from one person, all of which need the contributor's name added.

The simplest way to do this appears to be to upload all the images (in this case 176 of them) to a single folder and add an appropriate tag to them which is interpreted in the image view by the template.

So we tried this on our new batch of 176 jpg files.

The main problem is that, although the tag name is allocated 255 characters, varchar(255), when using the bulk actions to do this, any tag of more than 30 characters does not get added, although the interface states that is has been added.

Process: get up a reasonable number of images (say 20 - cannot do the whole 176, unfortunately)
tick 'check all'
from bulk actions select 'add tag'
select your tag
click Apply

for any tag of less than 30 characters, the tag is added to all checked images
bur for any tag of more than 30 characters, the system appears to be going through the process and then does print
tags allocated (or words to that effect) - but no tags are added.

It is possible to create tags longer than 30 characters and it is possible to add them individually to an image using 'Edit all Image data', but this is an extremely laborious and time consuming way of doing it.

It would be nice if this could be corrected - presumably a limit somewhere in the processing code for 'bulk actions'.

Many thanks,
Richard

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    edited September 2019

We will try to reproduce this. I am not aware of any limits here because the varchar(255) you noted.

First thought was some POST limits on your server. But given the memory you apparently have available on that server (as noted on the other topic) I would be surprised if it has such a limit set (its not related to the memory). No error in any logs about this I presume?

cannot do the whole 176, unfortunately

If all images are in one album, there is also a bulk action on the image thumb page, not only on the images edit page.

Just in case: You probably know but you can also add the tags before upload using any EXIF tool you have to manage images.

• post_max_size is 2048M

suhosin.post.disallow_ws 0 0
    suhosin.post.max_array_depth 50 50
    suhosin.post.max_array_index_length 64 64
    suhosin.post.max_name_length 64 64
    suhosin.post.max_totalname_length 256 256
    suhosin.post.max_value_length 1000000 1000000
    suhosin.post.max_vars 1000 1000

suhosin.request.max_array_depth 50 50
    suhosin.request.max_array_index_length 64 64
    suhosin.request.max_totalname_length 256 256
    suhosin.request.max_value_length 1000000 1000000
    suhosin.request.max_varname_length 64 64
    suhosin.request.max_vars 1000 1000

Richard

edited September 2019

Sadly neither fretzl nor I can reproduce this. Neither on our local installs nor our own site.

Perhaps suhoshin does something unwanted as this security extension is known to cause trouble sometimes. Although the config does not look that strict to me.

The only minor cosmetic issue we noticed is that the "apply" button is not highlighted if using "check all" for the checkboxes. But executing the action does work nevertheless.

• Thank you for your trouble - I have another two zenphoto installations on a website running PHP 7.2 - so I tried that - it seems to be able to allocate longer tags with bulk-actions but it is currently running so slowly that it is a bit of a pain to experiment (one of those with many folders/albums).

Many thanks for your help,
    Richard

All right. Let us know in case you find out what makes the difference (except that not all servers are the same…)