Change of hosting and publication folder, possible problems?

guirala Member, Translator

Hello people, good day
I have my site (www.viajarporelmundo.ar) made in ZP 1.6 hosted directly inside the /public.html folder, working very well.
I am about to change hosting, and I will hire a multisite one, since I have the idea of publishing different sites apart from the current one.
In order to organize each site correctly, my idea is to publish each one of them in their own folders within /public.html, so I would change the location of my current site to be loaded in /public.html/mysite1, and future ones inside /public.html/mysite2, /public.html/mysite3... and so on.
The server migration would be done automatically by the new hosting company. My questions are:

• Could my site have a problem when moving its folder?;
  • Could it cause any disruption to the database?;
  • Should i do a new clean install instead of migrating it?.

All these doubts are because my site has a lot of photos, each with their descriptions and titles, and I would not want to lose any of that.
I look forward to your response and suggestions. Thank you.

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

You mean that you changed the plan on your host only and don't move to another host? An internal change on your host is not really a migration following our instructions (even if internally it is one).

Could my site have a problem when moving its folder?;

Your current site is within /public.html and the domain www.viajarporelmundo.ar is linked to that. So /public.html is the domain root.

If you now move that same site to /public.html/mysite1 and then link the domain to that location nothing changes because the folder Zenphoto is installed is still the domain root.

Only if you intend to use /www.viajarporelmundo.ar/mysite1 as the new URL you would need to run setup or modifiy the htaccess rewrite path manually since that would be a new location then.

Could it cause any disruption to the database?;

Then this alls should not change anything regarding the database if the host does the switch internally.

Should i do a new clean install instead of migrating it?.

No, that should not be necessary in this case.

• guirala Member, Translator

Hello acrylian, thank you for your answer.

"You mean that you changed the plan on your host only and don't move to another host? An internal change on your host is not really a migration following our instructions (even if internally it is one)."

No, I don't really keep the same host, but I will migrate it to a different provider, and it would be this one that would do the automatic migration. Does this change your answer at all?

No, I don't really keep the same host, but I will migrate it to a different provider, and it would be this one that would do the automatic migration. Does this change your answer at all?

Well, actually yes. If you really migrating/moving to a new host this means the database is also moved/copied. The process order is important because Zenphoto is file system based. It is described here:
    https://www.zenphoto.org/news/moving-and-changing-existing-installations/

Thanks acrylian, I take note of the process to be carried out.
    Have a nice day.

Thanks acrylian for helping me solve the problems that did occur when migrating the site to another hosting provider.
    I want to put the problem here and how it was solved, since it can be very helpful to other members who have the same problem.
    It must be taken into account that when migrating the server, the new provider always assigns new database names and usernames, and until this is corrected in the new installation it will be impossible to make the site work.
    BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, consult here: (https://www.zenphoto.org/news/moving-and-changing-existing-installations/), where it is perfectly explained what to do and how to do it, as well as indicating which folders and files are they must be uploaded to the new host.
    To solve this problem, after uploading all the necessary folders and files as indicated, create the new database with the data provided by the host, and proceed to import the old database.
    Now what you have to do BEFORE RUNNING THE SETUP: you must edit the zenphoto.cfg.php file (located in the zp-data folder), changing the names of the database, username and password to the new ones (rows 29, 30 and 32).
    Just now run the setup, and if everything was done right the site will work again.
    I hope it is useful.
    Thank you

• Aliyaa Member

Hi guys
    I apologize for the confusion in my previous response. If you are migrating your host to a different provider and they will handle the automatic migration, then it does align with the instructions provided.

If you are migrating your host to a different provider and they will handle the automatic migration, then it does align with the instructions provided.

Yes, if they follow the order noted in our instructions it should work.