Simple Login Page

I've spent the morning going through various forum posts and I've now got to the point where I don't know what's what.

What I want is a simple login page which allows a client to login and then be taken directly to the album(s) they are authorised to see. I don't want any thumbnails, etc, to be visible on the login page and the only thing the clients are allowed to do is rate the photographs.

I've read various posts on how to achieve this but some are rather old and some are at odds with one another.

I'm using the default theme and I can change my album organisation if I need to suit a solution.

Has anyone already achieved this? If so, how did you manage it.

Thanks

Simon

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    Please see:
    http://www.zenphoto.org/documentation/functions/_template-functions.php.html#functionprintPasswordForm

You will have to modify the theme's password.php page and the function within. If your user can view several albums you have to decided which album to redirect to then. Also you will have to get familiar with the object model to get the album url. Please refer to the related tutorial.
  • Thanks for your response. I'm a little surprised it's not possible to achieve this without changing code, I guessed other photographers would be using ZenPhoto for client proof and it would be part of the standard feature set. I don't particularly want a page full of padlock thubnails as it's not really that user friendly.
    Zenphoto is free self hosted software which always means a bit do it yourself. If photography is your really your business you should invest a bit in your presentation (I bet your website didn't fall from the sky either?).

As said you can easily add a redirection url. But again, since you could assign multiple top level albums to a user there is no means to foresee which to redirect to. You can also set a password for an album and just sent your client that one link. Then there are no padlocks

Since we are volunteers we need to pick what we add and what not. This is not an feature often requested so why don't you contribute it to the Zenphoto communty as a third party plugin?
  • There's no need to be rude. All I did was ask for some help, not a critique of my business and website. I fully understand how the open source model works, however, I'm hardly likely to donate or contribute if this is how newcomers are treated. I've spent a lot of time trying to find a self-hosted gallery solution that is simple for clients to access, I thought ZenPhoto might be the answer so forgive me if I'm wrong.

I did try to implement solutions to this myself but the various solutions listed in the forums and plugins, including http://www.zenphoto.org/news/zenphoto-single-login simply don't work the current version of the software.
    Apologies, I didn't mean to be rude. I am currently a bit tired of people not willing to do a bit of "homework" themselves. You apparently don't belong to those. So sorry again.

The plugin you refer to is old and not supported, which means we neither maintain nor test it anymore. I am not sure but I think the parameter the printPasswordForm() function has is the replacement for this.

I am sorry, I fear there is no simpler solution that what I suggested above. The easiest may be to set passwords to the album directly and just sent the link to that. Maybe my colleague will proof me wrong later though.
  • No problem acrylian, I can empathise with how you must feel at times.
    I asked for help in the forum when I realised that all the solutions I was trying were years old, this being another http://www.zenphoto.org/support/topic.php?id=5119#post-30261 and unlikely to work given how the software has moved on.
    Sure, and we try to help the best we can.
  • The thread you refer to is for logging from a link outside of Zenphoto. But as acrylian has said, there is currently no facility to provide a login with direct link to the user's album from the Zenpohot home page.

It would be possible to code that, but of course coding is no what you are requesting eve if it is a fairly simple task. The main difficulty is knowing what album to redirect to>

Of course if your user enters the URL of his album and is not logged in he will get a login screen. When he supplies his credentials he will be on that album page. So possibly your best bet is to direct your users to their album page and not the main site.
  • The solution I currently use relies on sending the specific URL to the client, it's just an admin overhead I'm trying to get rid of.

The login would be from outside Zenphoto and that's the solution I'm currently looking into coding - not sure where you got the idea that I wasn't looking to code. Rather than trying to do what had already been done I just thought I'd see if anyone had already achieved it. I've decided to change the scope so that a client will only have one album to simplify things.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.
  • So you want some sort of single logon then? The single-login script is your best bet. You say it does not work, but you did not say what fails. Should be easy to migrate to the current software for someone who does not mind coding.
  • I got to the point where the sign-on was working but immediately returned Object Not Found but I've now sorted the path and it's working fine-ish - I now need to sort out my albums/users and I think it'll be ok. Afraid I didn't migrate the script but rather just hacked it to fit requirements.
  • No problem with hacking the script. It is pretty much not useful in its simple context, so is meant to be hacked.

If you want to post what you did to get it working we can update the script.