Comments - errors and weird behaviors

I've never had to use comments before, so I tested it on my friend's site. However, I get this error below:

`
Zenphoto Error
MySQL Query ( INSERT INTO zp_comments (ownerid, name, email, website, comment, inmoderation, date, type, ip, private, anon) VALUES ("2", "darrell", "myemailaddresshere", "", "Testing this comment. How does this work?", "1", NOW(), "news", "my IP", "0", "0") ) failed. Error: MySQL server has gone away
It looks like your zenphoto tables haven't been created. You may need to run the setup script.
`
So I follow the instruction provided by the error:

`
Zenphoto has detected that you're upgrading to a new version.

Systems Check:

PHP version 4.4.7
PHP Safe Mode
PHP magic_quotes_gpc [is enabled]

You should consider disabling magic_quotes_gpc. For more information click here.

PHP GD support
PHP glob() support
PHP gettext() support [is not present]

Localization of Zenphoto currently requires native PHP gettext() support

PHP mbstring package [is not present]

Strings generated internally by PHP may not display correctly. (e.g. dates)

PHP MySQL support
zp-config.php file
MySQL setup in zp-config.php
connect to MySQL
MySQL version 5.0.24a
connect to the database (numbers removed on example)
MySQL access rights
MySQL show tables found: zp_administrators, zp_admintoalbum, zp_albums, zp_captcha, zp_comments, zp_images, zp_obj_to_tag, zp_options, zp_tags, zp_zenpage_news, zp_zenpage_news2cat, zp_zenpage_news_categories, zp_zenpage_pages
Zenphoto core files
.htaccess file (RewriteEngine is ON)
.htaccess RewriteBase is /gallery
albums folder
cache folder
locale folders

Database tables to update: zp_options, zp_albums, zp_images, zp_comments, zp_administrators, zp_admintoalbum, zp_tags, zp_obj_to_tag, zp_captcha.

Go!
`
When I click "GO" it seems to update without a problem. But when I go back to test the comment again, I just go right back to the error page.

By the way, does it have anything to do with PHP gettext() support?
If so, how do I fix it? Thanks in advance.

P.S. - when I first started enabling comments on the news section I chose the "moderation" and commenting worked at first. But when I went to the admin to moderate, you can only delete or edit comments. Nowhere did I find where to release or activate the comment.

Comments

• Sorry for the long post above (I couldn't go back and edit it any longer). I figured out the first part of the problem - the error. What happened was, I had chosen the Akismet spam filter but I don't have the ID. And I guess it threw commenting into an error. So I reset it back to "none" and it works.

I do still have the issue in the comment admin. If I use "moderate" mode there is no way for me to release the comment. Only edit or delete.
  • Click on the `?` button and it will release the comment from moderation.
  • Ah, o.k. that did it. Thanks.