Custom Data for users

Would be nice to have custom data field for the user object.

:)

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    There is actually a filter available to extend the user account fields. For some unknown reason it is tied to the comment_form to get some more like street etc.

It is planned to remove that and make an extra plugin for that.

Besides, feature request are best made on the issue tracker if you don't want them to get lost...;-) (These separate sub forums are legacy as the software does not allow to join sub forums).
  • A better explanation is:

There already is a custom data field for user objects. It is currently used by the comment_form plugin because that plugin wishes to have address information on users. But of course any other plugin or theme could use the field either in conjunction with that plugin's use or instead of it.

It is interesting to hear that there is a plan to change the plugin's use of the field. I did not see that on a schedule or feature issue anywhere.
    We did talk via IM about the strange fact that the comment_form plugin does that a while back. That was when I wondered where the extra fields come from and never thought of the comment_form...

A comment related plugin should add things in places related. IMHO the user accounts are not.... It should probably be moved to an extra plugin or even be standard. We agreed upon that more or less but that was before the Git move anyway.
  • The address fields were originally needed by the comments, that is why they were added as part of that plugin. That other plugins have had opportunity to use them as well is a benefit.

Anyway, I have no intention of changing things. There is no advantage to it, so there could only be downsides of things stopping working.
    Then you perhaps should update the plugin documentation to make clear that the comment_form adds stuff to the user accounts. That is missing and no one expects that. Even I did not... (especially since I rarely use comments).
  • Good to know .. I will make an official FR so it does not get lost.

In the mean time I will use the filter.