Scale

I'm looking for a web based solution to share 50 years' worth of family photos on the web. We can't afford to pay the annual costs of a dedicated server so will have to go with a standard hosted platform on a shared server running PHP.

There are 7,300 JPEGs to share, each around 6MB.

Would Zenphoto lend itself to this task?

If so can I have some recommendation as to:-

Best plug-ins to use?
What preprocessing we could do to keep the load on the shared server to a minimum when we set it up?

Charlie

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    Zenphoto can handle that amount but Zenphoto is only so fast and capable as the server it runs on allows.

Plugins to use probably:
    - cache_manager
    - html_static_cache
  • Thanks for the speedy response that sounds good. Is there any preprocessing image size that can be done locally before putting application on the shared server platform?
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    You can and should resize the full images before you upload. 4MP or 10MP images don't make sense. All others like thumbs are generated on the server. You theoretically could create those beforehand but you would have to follow a very strict naming convention. Not recommended.

Please take the time to read on our user guide that has a lot info about how Zenphoto works like caching and such. Also try the application. That is much easer than to explain everything theoretically.
  • I will do just that, thanks.