1500+ photos in one album

Hi.

My zenphoto is working fine. But now I added an album with more than 1500 photos, and when I go to the album admin page, it does not show all the albums. It stops showing on the new album. It is caused by the number of photos, becaused I've tried with a subset of that same album (around 200 photos).
Any known issue? Any help?

Comments

• Any more information?

Like maybe your Zenphoto release?
    Like maybe your theme?
    Like maybe any errors reported?

How do you expect to be helped if you do not even provide the minimal required information?

Additional information would be things like:

Your server's capacity.
    Is it stopping always on the same album?
  • Sorry.

Latest stable version 1.4.5.4.
    Default theme.

There are no errors reported. It just stops showing the album list when it was supposed to show the album that has more than 1500 photos. It just shows the moving cross icon. Check this screenshot: https://db.tt/IpflalLs

Where can I see the server's capacity?

Thanks!
  • There will be an error recorded somewhere, I believe. Your album titles have diacritical marks in them. If those came from the file name it could be that your server is tripping over the characters sometimes. (Would depend on the server and the character.)

If the album not displayed is the one with 1500 images it may be that the server is not fast enough processing to handle the list before the client times out. You can try things like the show thumbnails standin button to reduce the server processing of generating selecting the album thumbnail and rendering it. If that works you may want to avoid "random" thumbnails on this ablum.

Otherwise you will have to find the error: Debug log and/or the server CGI logs.
  • The "show thumbnails stand-in button" solved the problem. So the problem is related to the server speed. right?
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    Yes. Also check the size of images you upload. It is really not necessary to upload hires 10MP images to a website. That with 1500+ of them is likely to kill any server processing them unless you have your fast, big dedicated server.
  • 218 Mb for 1496 photos (average 150 Kb per photo). Do you think an average shared host (£30-£40 year) will deal with that with no problems?
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    The file size is not the problem, the dimensions are (MP = megapixel). http://www.zenphoto.org/news/problems-with-albums-and-images#thumbnailssized-images-are-not-generated-andor-the

ZP runs fine on shared hosts generally. But if you process to much all at once (see the tips above) it depends on the server config like how much RAM it has etc. Not easily answered.