prevent full image download but for registered users

Hi guys,
it's been a long time...

I've read the user guide, the forum and the troubleshooting guide and I just wanted to be sure about one thing.
In a public gallery, there's no way to protect downloading the full hi-res image by non registered users but setting a password (which is the same for all) in the image parameters ?
Is there another way to only authorize the registered users to view and download the full image in an opened gallery ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Set the password to protect the image. Set the user rights to allow whomever you want to access them.
  • flu Member
    Hi Stephen,
    that's the part I don't get :
    "Set the user rights to allow whomever you want to access them"

How ?
  • flu Member
    In fact, as far as I understand, I must st a password in the image option panel.
    But, as every user will have the same password to download the image, I don't see the point setting groups of users.
    My gallery is open, I just need my registered users (and only them) can download the full image...
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    Zenphoto has no individual righs control for the single image level and also not for non top level albums. Reasons are explained here:
    http://www.zenphoto.org/news/an-overview-of-zenphoto-users#zenphoto-users

If you don't want to use this general password you can do some coding on the theme to show the full image link to only users that are logged in:
    http://www.zenphoto.org/documentation/core/_functions.php.html#functionzp_loggedin
  • Did you try what I suggest?
  • flu Member
    Not yet, Stephen.
    How to show the full image link to only users that are logged in is exactly what I need.
    I guess that it doesn't work if full image access is set on "no access" in the options, right ?
    I know that I'm asking too much but would you have a code example using this function ?
    Anyway, thank you and the team for the hard work you've done here (and the multisite option that I wanted so bad).
  • flu Member
    Thank you Stephen, it works !
    I just put the link to the hi-res image between
    <?php if (zp_loggedin()) { ?> <?php } ?>
  • I am glad you got it working. But really, you ask for help and do not even try what is suggested. Not conducive for anyone wanting to continue with you.
  • flu Member
    ?
    Hi Stephen, I didn't see your last reply and I just don't understand :
    As mentioned above, I just DID what you suggested, I wrote how, so what do you mean ?!

That part was useful to prevent to print the link to the original image for unregistered users.
    I've also done this :
    http://www.zenphoto.org/support/topic.php?id=9572
  • If you want the link to show only to logged in users who have rights to view the image the code would be:

`if(!$albumobj->checkAccess()) && !zp_loggedin(VIEW_FULLIMAGE_RIGHTS)) {`

Of course the full image password should as well be set, otherwise people can simply "forge" the link and get around your coding.

With the password set you need the above only to suppress the link. The link will take unauthorized users to a long-on screen, so maybe not so bad???
  • flu Member
    Hmmm...
    you are right, the link can be forged easily if the password is not set (I don't want a specific password to every objects).
    Unfortunately, I just want and need that only the registered users can view and download the full original image in an opened gallery (which means that all watermarked and resized images can be viewed by everybody).
    Did not thought it was so tough (maybe my english is a quite too poor to get it)
    Clearly, Stephen, can it be made with ZP or do I have to look for another scripts ?
  • Can be done, but REQUIRES you set a password for full images and set the protection mode to "protected". The only "tough" part is suppressing the link which really is just an aesthetic thing.
  • flu Member
    Well, I need to "investigate" further, 'cause this is not what I understood reading the forum.
    Same player, shoot again.

Thank you for your work and for your answers.
  • flu Member
    "Can be done, but REQUIRES you set a password for full images and set the protection mode to "protected"."

Stephen, in this case, already registered and connected users must again type another password to get the full hi-res image.

This is not what I'm looking for :
    1 - I want a group of users to be authorized to download any hi-res image once they connected without to type another password (which is the same for all of them). By the way, wouldn't make it sense to assign that authorization to a group instead of setting a unique password for everybody ?

2 - I want that people who are not connected (registered) can't download the hi-res image at all.

3 - More : the protected mode puts a watermark on the hi-res image even if this is set to "none" in the original image options.
  • flu Member
    3 : sorry, user mistake, forget it.
  • in this case, already registered and connected users must again type another password to get the full hi-res image
    Please review again the article on user rights: http://www.zenphoto.org/news/an-overview-of-zenphoto-users

You must give the user permission to see the full image if you do not want him to need a password.
    3 - More : the protected mode puts a watermark on the hi-res image even if this is set to "none" in the original image options.
    Review your image options again. There is a specific option for watermarking for `full images` different from the standard image display.
  • flu Member
    Well Stephen, I've read carefully the article (apologize...) then I set a global password for the full image and set the full image access to "protected" in the global admin options image tab.
    It works, but...
    any unregistered user can access to the full image using a link like :
    http://www.mywebsite.com/albums/name-of-the-album/name-of-the-subalbum/full-image.jpg

I just need to avoid that.
    (sorry to be a pain)
    Yes, but that is something really different. Zenphoto is not involved in direct access to files via a browser so it cannot protect anything here. You have to protect that on the server side using htaccess or permissions.
  • flu Member
    Hi Acrylian,
    I can understand that but I'm still looking for on the ZP forum a solution to authorize access to the albums directory for registered users only with htaccess.
    Would you at least point me to the good direction about it, as you are one of the main developer of this nice project ?
    It would probably be helpful for another users too (very_best for example).

Thanks anyway.
  • Sometimes there is no substitute to acquiring needed knowledge of hosting. In your case we have suggested that you use htaccess files for this. This should have lead you to find out how those work.

A simple web search would have revealed http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml
    Item #12 is what you are looking for.
    And for that we even have something on the user guide:
    http://www.zenphoto.org/news/htaccess-against-hotlinking
  • flu Member
    Yes !
    Thank you Acrylian, your piece of code did the trick : this prevent the link to be forged.
    So now, full images can only be downloaded by registered people.
    Thanks again for your patience.

(sometimes I look for days something which is just here or already explained cause of my rough understanding of english language)
    No problem. But come on your English is not that worse than mine :-)