Unable to run setup program in upgrade from 1.4.4 to 1.4.5.5

I have just tried updating from zp 1.4.4 to 1.4.5.5. I followed the upgrading directions in the User Guide, and deleted the index.php, /zp-core, and /themes, and then installing the new ones.

During the setup program, I remember there was a drop-down menu that allowed me to set different permission levels, and I selected the top option, I believe it was "read only", up from "strict" where it had been automatically.

Since then, my gallery page just reads:

Warning: eval() [function.eval]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/jrm/public_html/Gallery/zp-core/functions-basic.php(113) : eval()'d code on line 84

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in /home/jrm/public_html/Gallery/zp-core/functions-basic.php(113) : eval()'d code on line 84

Warning: header() [function.header]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/jrm/public_html/Gallery/zp-core/reconfigure.php on line 36

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jrm/public_html/Gallery/zp-core/functions-basic.php(113) : eval()'d code:84) in /home/jrm/public_html/Gallery/zp-core/reconfigure.php on line 36

I have tried deleting the new index.php, /zp-core, and /themes, and reinstalling the old 1.4.4 version, and the setup program starts up and the gallery works fine like before. However, now every time I try to redo the upgrade, it goes strait to the above warning and error page, and I can't get it to run the setup program again with 1.4.5.5 to change the permissions back to 'strict'.

Is there another file I should be deleting to try to start over with the upgrade in order to be able run the setup program again?

I read the Permissions for Zenphoto files and folders article in the User Guide, but I didn't understand how to change these without running the setup program, which I can't seem to do...

Thanks

I am using a custom theme based on the default theme.

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    The strictest permission setting does not work on all servers (on my own shared hosting for example). Try setting one below. Unless you use 777 all is generally fine.

As the user guide entry tells you need to set permissions via your FTP client otherwise.
  • Thanks Acrylian,

Just to check whether I've understood the user guide:

Using Filezilla, I've right-clicked on each zenphoto folder and selected "File permissions", on the "change file attributes" dialogue, I've then entered numeric value of 755, checked "recurse into subdirectories and "apply to directories only".

I've then gone to each folder again, and entered numeric value of 644, recurse into subdirectories, then selected "apply to files only".

Have I changed permissions correctly, or are there folders that should have been done differently?

Thanks,
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    That sounds right that way. If it works it should be good, otherwise you might have to contact your host.

If the users the script runs is not the same only they can solve it. As mentioned on the user guide article - if you still have problems point them there.
  • Shoot. It didn't work.

I am having trouble understanding why when I delete the zp core and themes folders and the index file, and re install the versions from my old 1.4.4 download, everything works fine and setup runs. But when I re-install those folders and file from the 1.4.5.5 download, I keep getting the blank page with the warnings above and setup won't run.

The really confusing thing for me is that the first time I ran the 1.4.5.5 update, setup ran fine until I changed the permissions dialogue. Is there no simple way to just undo those changes?

Thanks
  • From your reported errors something seems strange with your configuration file.

Line 84 should be a comment line, so not cause any errors in the first place. In particular, nothing in the configuration file would normally deal with the system time.

All this could be related to the permissions of the configuration file, but that is really a stretch. But look at your configuration file and compare it to the template in the zp-core folder.

Anyway, you may find that having set permissions to "read-only" even your FTP program cannot see the files and thus not remove them. Perhaps your host has a control panel application for file management that can see and remove these files/folders.
  • Thanks sbillard, I tried using the cpanel application for deleting and re-uploading the file/folders instead of Filezilla, but there was no change in the outcome.

I contacted my host and they tried changing a few things, but I am still not able to run the setup program...

The conversation with the host was as follows:

Host:I have now corrected the complete permission of your account. Can you please try again?

Me: I've tried again and still get the same warning messages. I deleted the file and folders and re-uploaded them and get the same thing.

Host: I have edited your php.ini file and added date.timezone settings to point to Toronto. Now the warning message about timezone settings is gone. And also I have changed Output buffering to 'On' in php.ini. Now you are getting an error
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in /home/jrm/public_html/Gallery/zp-data/zenphoto.cfg.php on line 84 . It seems to be a syntax error in php file zenphoto.cfg.php. Please contact your programmer for help with this.

So now this is the only error message I am getting. Line 84 of this file seems to make more sense, it seems to be part of the path overrides. There is a note above here "

Uncomment the following two lines ONLY IF YOU'RE HAVING PROBLEMS,
    // like "file not found" or "not readable" errors.
    // These allow you to override Zenphoto's detection of the correct paths
    // on your server, which might work better on some setups"

Are the two lines to uncomment line 76 and 77?:
    // define('WEBPATH', '/zenphoto');
    // define('SERVERPATH', '/full/server/path/to/zenphoto');
    ?

Does this seem in line with the error message?
  • NO, The error message is complaining about a missing `=>` operator. That error cannot happen within a comment (things starting with `//`)

There is a template for the configuration file within the zp-core folder. You should compare what you have to this template. Line 84 of a normal config file would be the `// Path Overrides` line.

Maybe the quickest solution would be for you to delete your config file and let it be built again by setup. Of course, be sure you have noted all the database credential information as you will need to re-supply it to the setup program.
  • Deleting the zenphoto.cfg.php file in the zp-data folder seems to have done the trick, I had to delete the new htacess file as well and then the setup program ran and everything seems to have updated successfully.

Thanks again for the speedy help!