Language text problems/security?

So I can't determine if my site has been hacked, whether I have local PC/browser settings wrong or not, but ... Having loaded zenphoto with the latest version (as it happens zp-ardoise theme) I am getting chinese characters for the system elements (e.g. "prev", "next", "login", etc). I thought this may be to do with my browser (Firefox), but IE is now showing it as well. I tried an alternative PC , and that showed the english character set I was expecting, for that period of time.

The admin area does not show a language setting that would influence this far as I can tell. Re-running setup, and changing the character set there only lasts a few minutes before reloading sees the chinese character set once again.

Not sure if this is paranoia, incompetence, or genuine victim-mode. See `http://marklcaton-images.co.uk/zenphoto/`.

Comments

• It is showing English for me. Does this happen with a different theme?

What I suggest is that you use FTP to delete the zh_TW and zh_CN folders from the locale. That will prevent Zenphoto from translating to Chinese. (Maybe also the ja_JP folder in case you mis-recognized the language.

Having done that, set the language option to English rather than HTTP Accept Language. That will force the site into English.

Generally the language is selected by browser preference (Thus hte HTTP Accept Language) With Zenphoto 1.4 you can select a language by user, so you could also just set your language to English and allow foreigners to have their prefered language.

I really doubt that this could be a server issue since your other PC and my viewing both work as expected. More likely it is some issue on the PC that is getting the Chinese characters.
  • Right that sorted it - deleted the 2 folders from zp-core/locale, which then sent my site to Dutch!, but at least I was able to find the right gallery language settings, from http, to English.

The other PC was XP (which seemed to work correctly), the main one Win 7, which was giving me grief, in case it matters.

"It might be paranoia, but that doesn't mean they're not out to get you".

Thanks.
  • Well, your browser must have been presenting an unusual sequence of prefered languages then. All these (Win 7, broswer, etc.) were derived in the UK? If they came from somewhere else they might be configured strangely.

My system is Win 7, BTW. But it certainly is a US build.