Zenpage Theme - Protect full size images

Hi, I am using the zenpage theme and I love the large, full size image display but they are not watermarked and I know that it does little, but is there a way of disabling the right mouse click (save as...) on these large images??? At the moment it is a large and easily copied image that even a novice could pull of the site.

Comments

• Yes, I couldn't find an answer to this specifically. Have I missed something?
  • Sorry, I must be having a slow day! I just saw the link you posted. Yes, that answers my questions. Many thanks.
  • I'll revive this old thread with a new question: would it be possible via chmod/chown to allow zenphoto and ftp-user to read and write to /albums but no one else?

Whatever I try, it is either too lax or too strict and I am growing grey hair by now, so I'd rather stop if the hole enterprise is bound to fail.
  • Maybe, it depends on your theme. If you make it so "visitors" cannot read the albums folder then anything that directly references the original image will fail as the browser will be denied access.

Normally this impacts javascript functions like possibly slideshows or colorbox displays. But it really depends on what the theme tries to show--images from the cache file will work, images from the albums folders will fail.
  • Thanks sbillard! Frontend only accesses cache, but my problem now is always with the backend. When the backend can't access »albums«, it somehow screws with the database so I loose all tags, titles etc and filenames get assigned as titles again.

Would you give »albums« to the php-user? And how would you chmod?

Or could htaccess be an option? If I redirected everything that goes to »albums« somewhere else?

I really like to have my images up there full size as an additional backup, but really would be happier if »albums« could be off limits.
  • .htaccess with

`deny from all`

in /albums seems to work for me.
  • Another is

`RewriteRule ^albums/(.*) /404 [R,NC]`

in the root .htaccess, but I'm not sure if that is a proper solution or just a caveman approach.
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    If you mean hotlinking protection, we have a draft htaccess for that:
    http://www.zenphoto.org/news/htaccess-against-hotlinking

Also you can move your albums folder out of the web root as well and also rename to to pictures. You can define that in the config file.

But be careful if you also want to use multimedia items as flash based video player will not work then.
  • Thanks acrylian, but no, hotlinking is not an issue for me. I just want to restrict access to /albums and everything in there to zenphoto and ftp.

I am a kindergardener when it comes to both htaccess and chmod/chown, so I am not sure if my htaccess-attempt is a) well formed and b) keeps people from accessing /albums and subfolders/-files, but what I like about the solution is, that it displays the zenphoto-404-page and not some ugly »permission denied«, as does the first solution I posted.