Saving scroll position

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can give me a code example for saving the scroll position of the browser with jquery? In my theme the user needs to scroll a little bit down so see the comments. When the user clicks to the next picture (or is doing a browser refresh) the browser should restore the last scroll position. I found out that it is possible to do it with jquery that my theme is using anyway. But I don't know how do it. Can someone give me an code example?

Thanks

Norbert

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    Saving any real scroll position would require cookies per user. What you probably wish is to scroll to a specific element. You would just have to add an id to an element. Say the image gets `id="image"`. Then add to your links `#image` and it will scroll to that. No jQuery needed at all.
    Addition: To add you can of course scroll directly using the jQuery Plugin scrollto:
    http://demos.flesler.com/jquery/scrollTo/
    Might be easier than editing the links on the theme (depending on the theme).
  • Acrylian, thanks for your help. I am not an expert in php and javascript. What do I need to put into my image.php? I have added the following code into my header of the image.php file:

'<script>

// When the document is loaded... NM
    $(document).ready(function()
    {
    // Scroll the to the content area
    $.scrollTo( '#content', 800, {easing:'elasout'} );
    });
    </script>'

Do I need to do more? Do I need to add somehow the scrollto-script function from jquery to my theme or is it allready in zenphoto integrated?

Thanks again for your help

Norbert
    You have to add the scrollTo jQuery script to your theme, too. jQuery itself does not have a "scrollTo" function. And you need to have an element with `id="content"`.
  • Thanks for your hints. With your help I figured it out.I added the follwing code to my header.php and now it is working:

`
    <?php if (($_zp_gallery_page) == 'image.php') { ?>
    /js/jquery-scrollto.js">
    $(document).ready(function() {$('#content').ScrollTo();});"; <?php }
    ?>
    `