Driving me nuts: Error The form submission is incomplete.

I remember getting this error a coupe of years ago as well, can't remember how it got fixed though.

I cannot create new users, no matter what I do, I get: Error
The form submission is incomplete. Perhaps the form size exceeds configured server or browser limits.

post_max_size = 2000M so that cannot be the problem.
max_input_vars = 1000
max_input_nesting_level = 64

I also tried lowering the allowed users on a page to 2.

I only want to allow a second user, that's it :(

It is a clean installation on a brand new Ubuntu 14.04 / Apache 2.4 PHP 5.5. Everything works like a charm except adding users.

I pulled a user from my old database (14.07) and imported it in the new one (14.11) but that doesn' work either. Wishful thinking? ;)

Any ideas? A workaround?

Kind regards

Comments

• bart Member
    My workaround for now:

enable register plugin
    register user from front-end

registered users get access to overview admin page. I Don't want that but I cannot edit this in the backend because I will end up with the same error. So I copied the permission rights from old sql export: 6686629 and copied it in the new database

So I have got my second user back...as it was before :)

Still like to know where that errors comes trom though :)
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    The issue would indeed be common if you have too many form elements on one page.Limiting the number of users per page should help here actually. Do the server logs say anything and if what?

How many users do you have in total? Since you didn't mention it I assume you are running Zenphoto 1.4.11.
    I pulled a user from my old database (14.07) and imported it in the new one (14.11) but that doesn' work either. Wishful thinking? ;)
    That will not work because of the password.
  • bart Member
    Using 14.11 indeed.

I only have one admin account for myself and one user account (used by my entire family) so I can keep my photos behind a login.

I checked the php error logs but I could not find anything about this error.
    Just two accouts should not cause any form element exceeding actually. I fear I have no idea right now. Sorry…
  • bart Member
    That's exactly what I thought. PHP config seems to be in order as well.

Ah well, for now I got my second user (albeit by detour :) )

Who knows maybe next time I do a clean installation it will be - miraculously - 'solved'.

(I just noticed I joined this forum almost 10 years ago! And still a happy user. Thanks for that!)
    Yes, sometimes a new install works wonder. Sometimes it is a database issue as well. Hard to say without some other errors from here.

Thanks, glad to hear you are still happy with Zenphoto nevertheless!
  • bart Member
    Okay I tried something else....it worked. Might be of help to others with this problem.

I changed max_input_vars in php.ini but somehow that didn't show up in phpInfo.php (still 1000)

So I tried another route and put the following in my vhost config file

php_value max_input_vars 6000

That did work!

Edit: it did work in php.ini as well, just needed to uncomment...ouch ;)
    Ok, good it worked somehow. Still strange as there are surely nowhere near that many form elements…
  • chrisb Member
    edited June 2020

I just ran into this as well. The problem for me is the "managed albums" status are part of the post. For each user, there are 3 values for each album in the site. This can quickly expand past the default 1000 max_input_vars and cause the truncation error. (For me: 7 users x 54 albums = 1134 post vars).

I don't have any users that are allowed manage rights on albums, so I've just edited the code to bypass that stuff, and I'm back working.

For attributes that are as dynamic as the number of albums, perhaps it might be better to have a separate edit/submit method per user.

edited June 2020

For attributes that are as dynamic as the number of albums, perhaps it might be better to have a separate edit/submit method per user.

Yes, all planned and in the works for the future already. Just not for 1.x anymore.

• Probably a better solution would not to have all the checkboxes checked for albums not being managed. There is no meaning to those checkboxes, so nothing lost if they are not checked. Then the only thing posted are the albums of interest. (One could even have some javascript that knows what the default checking is and checks those boxes if the checkbox for managing the album is checked.)

Having to go to multiple pages degrades the user experience, so should be avoided if possible. I've implemented the above strategy, not so difficult that it could not be part of the 1.x release.

edited June 2020

Our plans have nothing to do with "multiple pages".

• Great. Why don't you share those plans with us, then?

edited June 2020

It is really not your concern since you are neither user nor contributor of Zenphoto anymore. You will see it when you see. But for your curiosty there will be individual user account pages instead on containing several as now as it should probably have been in the first place.

• sbillard Member
    edited June 2020

So, pretty much what would be the case if you set the number of users per page to 1?

"You will see it when you see"

That I look forward to. But to me it seems that "the next major release" is a bit of a chimera. Features have been being designated for the 2.0 release since 2013 and the the GitHub tag for it was created almost three years ago. (https://github.com/zenphoto/zenphoto/issues/191)

edited June 2020

So, pretty much what would be the case if you set the number of users per page to 1?

Technically but still all listed just individual edit pages likes Zenpage articles or pages.

The the 2.0 tag is not important, the "next major release" is developed in different repository. Time issues and personal reasons are/were the reason for the overall slow progress no one is happy about. But it takes as long it takes…