Re-running Setup on Zenphoto 1.4.14 on SiteGround host.

I installed Zenphoto a few years ago - I think I used a one click install provided by SiteGround, although they don't seem to offer that now. I've started getting regular messages advising me that something has changed and I need to run setup. So I've followed the guide, but even after clicking on the 'Setup >> restore scripts' admin utility, I'm still getting the following message when I navigate to //zp-core/setup.php.

"You must restore the setup files from the 1.4.14 [f5b47da52f] release."

In the zp-core folder there is no sign of a setup folder. Does that mean that SiteGround's one-click install deleted these files? Is it enough to simply copy that setup folder over from a fresh download of 1.4.14?

I'm also interested in upgrading to the latest version (1.5.6), for no reason other than to stay current. In the guide for upgrading I'm advised that only upgrading from the previous feature release is guaranteed to work. Is the step from 1.4.14 to 1.5.6 considered a single feature release step (i.e. .4 to .5)? If not, are there any known issues I should be aware of before attempting this upgrade?

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    edited April 2020

No, they didn't delete, Zenphoto did itself in such old versions. You find all info about this here: https://www.zenphoto.org/news/installation-and-upgrading/#--re-running-and-re-uploading-setup-files

In the guide for upgrading I'm advised that only upgrading from the previous feature release is guaranteed to work. Is the step from 1.4.14 to 1.5.6 considered a single feature release step (i.e. .4 to .5)? If not, are there any known issues I should be aware of before attempting this upgrade?

We cannot tell you as - as noted - don't test such upgrade steps. It depends on a lot of things like customizations or usage of third party themes or plugins. Even if you don't use any third party stuff you need to review settings as plugins changes or have been removed. You can read about all significant changes on the releases poss (a lot to read).

• CJH Member

Thanks acrylian - that's indeed the section I looked at previously, but my version is newer than 1.4.6. Also, I didn't understand the wording:

"In that case you find them in the release package: /zp-core/setup.php (folder with several files). Re-upload that folder ...."

Setup.php is not a folder, so does "that folder" refer to zp-core or zp-core/setup?

I guess I'll hold off on the upgrade to 1.5.6 until I've got a staging site set up.

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    edited April 2020

Setup.php is not a folder, so does "that folder" refer to zp-core or zp-core/setup?

There is file setup.php and a folder setup within zp-core. The setup.php file should be there normally even if the folder setup is not (unless I remember incorrectly from the old versions). But it is the same version it does not hurt to re-upload both.

I guess I'll hold off on the upgrade to 1.5.6 until I've got a staging site set up.

It's always good idea to have a staging site, be it on a live server or a localhost one like MAMP, WAMP etc.

• CJH Member

Thanks again for your quick response. I copied over the zp-core/setup folder (setup.php was already there), then ran setup successfully.

I'll look into MAMP and WAMP.