cloneZenphoto

Good Day! I am new to ZP and am enjoying it immensely! Alas, I have a need for multiple users. After some playing with the program, I believe the best way to accomplish my goals is to create a gallery for each individual user. This seems to offer some better controls vs albums and subalbums.
To that end, I am looking for the cloneZenphoto plugin but cannot find it anywhere. Is it still available? If not, does anyone have a howto to create the necessary symlinks?

Thank You to the ZenPhoto team for a great program!!!

glenn

Comments

• fretzl Administrator, Developer

It's part of the Zenphoto package and must be activated on the backend.
    Go to Admin => Plugins => cloneZenphoto and enable it.

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

Cloning will create technically separate installs just using the same code base but need separate databases. This will only work if your server supports symlinks.

I am no sure I understand why this will have benefits for you instead of doing it all with one install.

• Thank You for your replies! Sorry for my slow response.

Fretzl, I have cloneZenphoto checked on my installation. Alas, the package is still not enabled. :-/ I am running on FreeBSD if that makes a difference.

Acrylian, I would like to ask to tap into your's and the board's knowledge. If I ma accomplish my goal with a single install, I would be very excited.

I am attempting to allow individual's to have their own accounts. Their own account would allow them to upload pictures or video to their own "album". Their album could have multiple sub albums.

I would like to have it where the root of each individual's account album is their "homepage". Something like https://www.DOMAINNAME.com/individual would pull up the first page of their album and a list of their sub-albums.

I have looked at user privileges but am not sure if that is where I will find an answer. May you please point me in a direction or share your thoughts on how best to accomplish my goal? I am hoping for hundreds to thousands of accounts. :-)

Hopefully my explanation helps. I am a bit tired.

Thank You In Advance!!! Have a Great Day!!!

glenn

What you try to accomplish is exactly what is directly possible with a single install. Just create a user account for everyone and set management rights to the one album only. Currently you can only assign specific user rights to a top level album (technical legacy reasons for now) which then is inherited by all subalbums on all levels.
    Top level albums have exactly the intended URL.

You can read about user rights in more detail here:
    https://www.zenphoto.org/news/an-overview-of-zenphoto-users/

• fretzl Administrator, Developer
    edited December 2020

...and there is even a checkbox option on the user page where you can set a primary album for a user. This will create a toplevel album with the name of the user.

• Thank You both for getting back to me. I have read through the Overview in my research. I will re-read it and try and pull my head out of my butt. :-)

When configured with a single install, how may I point to the individual user's top-level public album instead of the entire gallery which shows all the albums? Something like https://www.DOMAINNAME.com/individual01, https://www.DOMAINNAME.com/individual02, etc?

Again, Thank You Very Much!!!

edited December 2020

The front end (theme) will show all public items respectively those the user has rights to if they are protected (see the article and the extra box about visibility). You could redirect logged in users via a custom plugin (nothing for this exists) but I am not sure why as this will be otherwise a public site right.

The backend (admin) is separate and will have the user only have access to the albums on the albums edit page he can manage by default. There is no beed to point anyone anywhere.

• Public is a relative term. I am hoping to make the site available to family members. Alas, there are going to be different families accessing their respective sites. The different families should not know about each others albums.

Am I asking ZP to do too much? :-)

Thank You!

edited December 2020

You need to unpublish/protect all the albums not everyone should see and assign manage or view rights to them to those member who should.

• I am hoping to work on this a little later today. May I post if I have more questions after further reading the docs?

Sure that's what the forum is for. We have public holidays over here until the 26th so responses may take some more time.

• I believe I am getting the hang of the permissions. Alas, another question. Not sure if I should start a new topic for this one.

All my albums are not-published. User1 has access to the User1 album. User2 has access to the User2 album. They do not "see" the other user's album. If I login as User1, I see the User1 album and can administer it. If User1 logs out, I can still access their album via URL. Interestingly, User1 can actually access User2's album via URL even though they do not have any access to it. I have tried closing the browser (Chrome) and flushing ALL cache. Still I am able to connect directly to the album if I know the URL. Is this how it should work?

Thank You for the Assistance!!!

• The only Rights I have configured for User1 is Upload under Albums on the Users tab.

edited December 2020

Yes, and this is directly explained in the section about visibility and protection: https://www.zenphoto.org/news/an-overview-of-zenphoto-users/#--rules-of-protection-and-visibility-for-zenphoto-

So unpublish and password protect the top level album in question (sublevels inherit). Then only the user with direct view rights or management rights will see and be able to access the album on the front end if logged in. Still anyone who knows the URL can access the page but will get a password form for login.