PHP Mailer - Arg!

Trying to set this up. relaying via att.net. It works just fine on my other applications. Can send directly, or can send via windows relays I have set up just fine.

PHPMailer on Zenphoto, cannot get it to work:

I don't see any option to set a To or From email address

Here is current message:

PHPMailer failed to send [Brownlee Photo Gallery] Comment posted
ErrorInfo:The following From address failed: zenphoto@cms
brownleefamily
us : MAIL FROM command failed,Request failed; Mailbox unavailable ,550,SMTP server error: MAIL FROM command failed Detail: Request failed; Mailbox unavailable SMTP code: 550SMTP server error: MAIL FROM command failed Detail: Request failed; Mailbox unavailable SMTP code: 550

Comments

• fretzl Administrator, Developer
    edited March 2021

Looks like you have entered "zenphoto@cms" as the gallery e-mail address in
    Options -> General. If so, leave empty or enter a valid e-mail address.

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

PHPmailer has two main options: One to use a real external mail service and the internal PHP mailing. The first requires a real address naturally.

Perhaps the zenphoto-sendmail handler is more hassle free as it directly uses the server internal PHP mailing.

• LOL... I know even less about PHP mailer...

OK, I corrected the address... and still got an error

- How does it know who to mail TO: ?

PHPMailer failed to send [Brownlee Photo Gallery] Comment posted
    ErrorInfo:The following From address failed: waltrip
    alt@gmail
    com : MAIL FROM command failed,Request failed; Mailbox unavailable ,550,SMTP server error: MAIL FROM command failed Detail: Request failed; Mailbox unavailable SMTP code: 550SMTP server error: MAIL FROM command failed Detail: Request failed; Mailbox unavailable SMTP code: 550

alt@gmail is most certainly not a complete mail address ;-)

You generelly need to make sure that you entered all other credentials as the mail provide requires. Like you would setup a mail programm.

As said otherwise try the sendmail plugin instead, that does not even have options to set. That should work out of the box therefore unless your server is not setup accordingly (we use that on our site, execpt the forum naturally).

• it wrapped... it is:
    the following From address failed: waltrip.alt@gmail.com

that is my email for this.

As to sendmeil plugin... I see it does not have options... I am new to PHP and can spell it "P.H.P.", but dont know how to set up the php mailing.

I assume I need to create a file and put it somwehere with the mail server and address info.

it is not clear to me what those steps are as relates to Zenphto.

• sorry about bolding. not sure why it did that

edited March 2021

For PHp sendmail you don't need to setup anything. Your host should have done that for you as that is a server core functionality. Then the server sends the mails but you cannot use a gmail address.

We use that on our main site as well if somehow uses our contact form.

Btw, I have anonymize your address above as you surely don't want to have this here ;-)

The bold happend because you put a === below it which means h1 headlne formatting in Markdown syntax which this forum uses.

• OK on bold
    Silly me on the address :). But it is my 'spam' account. not mail normal email.

As to host.... I am self hosting... my own server, on ubuntu...

I installed PHP, but never configured the mail.... So not sure where to begin

But it is my 'spam' account. not mail normal email.

Less spam is always good, isn't it? ;-)

I installed PHP, but never configured the mail.... So not sure where to begin

Well, can't help you with that as I don't setup my own servers. I leave that to those who know.

• OK.... I have PHP mail working....

But I still don't have enough information

I can compose a mail.php file and it will send email

it still does not connect me to how zenphto uses it.

latest message:
    zenphoto_sendmail failed to send [Brownlee Photo Gallery] Comment posted to one or more recipients

I swithced to zenphoto_sendmail.

there is not any invormation on how this plugin gets its information on mailserver, from user, to user. I can see that there are some settigns in php.ini

how do I set the 'to user'?

edited March 2021

Perhaps you should try to explain what you exactly are trying to do. You don't need tp compose a mail.php or anything. PHP mail uses the server setting to mail from.

For example if someone uses the contact_form on our site. On our server uses generic internal address zen****@www.zenphoto.org to send from. That is not a "real" mailbox. How it is named differs on each server. What that is, I don't know, it's your server. :-)

On the contact_form plugin for we definde the actual address to send to.

• I was able to finally get it to work with the PHPMailer

PHP mailer let me set the details of the mail server
    smtp.mail.att.net, the user account, the password, protocol (smtp), the security (TLS)

Then, I am guessing, the "Mail From" address and name come from Options-->General in "name" and "email:

Further guessing that "Mail To" comes from the master user defined in Users

am I correct?

Then, I am guessing, the "Mail From" address and name come from Options-->General in "name" and "email:

Yes, if you setup an external mailprovider you will setup a mailbox to use.

Further guessing that "Mail To" comes from the master user defined in Users

If you are referring to comment notfications yes.

• OK.... I am sure folks working this have a day job. :)

But it would be helpful if the PHP mailer adding docs listed this information. It would have saved me a lot of time :)

In any event, all working fine now

edited March 2021

Good you got it working. I actually thought that it is clear that if you setup a mailbox so it will use that and naturally the mail address that belongs to it :-) We'll see if we can add something perhaps.

• in my case, I use a separate mail server/relay. It works just fine. I am using it for other applications (not for PHP tho)

I was able to figure out PHPMAILER, as it had all of the mail server settings there.

Where I was still lost was where in Zenphoto the TO: and FROM: mail addresses were. Once I got that I was golden

edited March 2021

I am sorry, I told nonsense about the address to send from. It does not use the mail address of hte handler definde in phpMailer. That address is set on Options > General actually.

• NP.... I was tearing my hair on on hot to set up PHP mail from the PHP side... 100 articles on google, and each one with different instructions. LOL