max_input_vars

Starting to get this message

The form submission has been truncated because you exceeded the server side limit max_input_vars of 1000. Try displaying fewer items per page or try to raise the server limits.

It started after I added a few more videos to an album.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    edited March 2021

It's a server side limit you have to raise on your server. You should know about that if you run your own server. Since this is on backend only, you can limit the items per page on backend pages.

• You assume much sir :)

While I have been in IT for 34 years.... I have only been messing around in Linux for a couple of years, and with Apache/PHP for maybe a year...

I have raised the server limits... It seems to be working now.... but I have to bump the numbers up quite a bit

is there some what to measure consumption? that way I know when and what to bump it up to?

Sorry, if you setup your own serer I assum you know what you are doing ;-) Setting up your own server - and even properly and secure if it is a live one on the net - is a special topic which I for a reason leave to webhosts to do for me.

FYI, our site here is not even on its own server, it's just good shared webhosting.

• I have firewall.... Both at gateway, and on servers themselves....

Kind of like I have locks on the doors... Does not mean I know how to repair plumbing :)

This issue is not a security one... it is resource.... I was hoping I could find a way to track the consumption of that resource.

Not trying to be Snarky... :)

Like everything else with this type of environment will just need to research and test

Thanks

This issue is not a security one... it is resource.... I was hoping I could find a way to track the consumption of that resource.

Of course it is not a security one. I just commented a little generally why I don't bother setting up servers and don't think I need to ;-)

Consumption of form fields cannot be tracked unless you count them manually in the source. Since the issue happens on the page you get the error. Most likely its the image edit pages as there are lots of form elements. THere you can easily limit the images per page to work around that.

• I am primarily a computer engineer by trade. Setting up and moving data centers. from 100 to several thousand servers. Primarily Windows, Vmware, Azure, etc. Mostly work in powershell. Some bash.

Relatively new to Linux. I have 2 Linux servers at home... and a high speed connection to the internet. One server is all storage, the other is media and web. I am also running Windows Domain controller VMs for our PCs at home, and Pihole filters on my DNS.

the trick for me (your last paragraph) is figuring out what to count and where it is. I am new to PHP and HTML too...

edited March 2021

All right, got that you possibly understand more from servers (and probably some other computer stuff) than I do ;-)

the trick for me (your last paragraph) is figuring out what to count and where it is. I am new to PHP and HTML too...

You can look at the source code via your browser and count them. That's not really what you want to do

Other ways would require coding and hacking file which I really don't recommend ;-)

Just either reduce the ittems per page where possible. Or just raise the max_input_vars value via the php.ini. 1000 is normally a good value which it is on my local server setup for example

• So... if I get an error message ,like that in an album, I browse to that album and show source and count? I can automate that probably

You can really save you that hassle and just set a higher value on your server since you control it anyway.