Mod_Rewrite check, Setting theme default options, and Plugin setup.

Hi Folks,

I've just installed 1.5.8 and I have three problem on the final page of "Run Setup". All of these problems are indicated with the red "X" highlighting each element of their respective categories; Mod-Rewrite, Theme Default Options, and Plugin setup. I suspect that they are related to the messages in "debug.log":

ZenphotoCMS config file is missing
cURL request failed.

These following errors might be related, but I can't tell.

First:
Mod_Rewrite check

This doesn't tell me much about what is wrong or how to fix it.

Second:
Setting theme default options

I have four themes, "basic", "garland", "zenpage", and "zpmobile" and they all appear with the red "X" in a list. I don't know what is wrong, so I'm hard pressed to fix it.

Third:
Plugin setup.

This is a very long list of 84 elements (See the addendum) and they all appear with the red "X" in a list. I don't know what is wrong, so I'm hard pressed to fix it.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

ADDENDUM:

Plugins with red "X"

admin-approval
auto_backup
bxslider_thumb_nav
cacheManager
check_for_update
class-AnyFile
class-textobject
class-video
class-WEBdocs
cloneZenphoto
colorbox_js
comment_form
contact_form
cookieconsent
crop_image
defaultCodeblocks
deprecated-functions
downloadList
dynamic-locale
elFinder
email-newuser
exampleMacros
favoritesHandler
flag_thumbnail
galleryArticles
GoogleMap
hitcounter
html_meta_tags
http_security_headers
image_album_statistics
ipBlocker
jplayer
lazyload
macroList
markRelease
matomo
menu_manager
mergedRSS
mobileTheme
multiple_layouts
openstreetmap
paged_thumbs_nav
PHPMailer
print_album_menu
publishContent
quota_manager
rating
reCaptcha
redirector
register_user
related_items
rewriteRules
rewriteTokens
rss
scriptless-socialsharing
search_statistics
security-logger
seo_cleanup
seo_locale
seo_null
seo_zenphoto
show_not_logged-in
simpleSpam
site_upgrade
sitemap-extended
slideshow2
static_html_cache
tag_extras
tag_suggest
themeSwitcher
tinymce4
tinyURL
trivialSpam
uploader_http
uploader_jQuery
user_groups
user_login-out
user_mailing_list
user-expiry
userAddressFields
xmpMetadata
zenpage
zenphoto_news
zenphoto_sendmail

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    edited June 2021

1) Either missing .htaccess file or your server does not support it. There is no secure way to test mod_rewirte excpet trying a rewritten URL. Which is what we do via cURL if available on the server or via JS ajax request. This is failing for some reason I cannot answer.

2/3) The red X probably indicates file/folder permission issues. Somehow your upload messed these up, either they are set to strict for the server to work with (you have to try the level as each sever is different) or they have the wrong owner.

This also may be related to the missing config file if it is present within zp-data. (You didn't tell if this was an upgrade or fresh install).

Please see: https://www.zenphoto.org/news/permissions-for-zenphoto-files-and-folders/

• Hi Acrylian,

I think I have determined that all three symptoms are the result of failing the cURL test. I notice that setup::defaultOptionsRequest() switches on three cases: Mod-Rewrite, Themes, and Plugins -- exactly the three categories I have above. Ultimately, I suspect that curlRequest is failing, but the log entry doesn't give me much to go on. debug.log gives me 90 entries of:

{1022156:Fri, 18 Jun 2021 15:23:50 GMT}
    ERROR: cURL request failed:

... which turns out to be 1 + 4 + 85 = 90.

Can you explain a bit about this to me so I can understand what I see in the code? Maybe a code fragment that I can execute on my server to see what is happening?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

There should be an actual curl error message as well. No idea why that is missing. DId setup report that cURL is available?

The curl check is done using the method defaultOptionsRequest() of the setup class.
    https://docs.zenphoto.org/1.5.x/source-class-setup.html#749-797

So far I have not encounter any issue with is on several hosts I upgrade sites to 1.5.8. I would still assume permission issues as these lead to all sorts of these issues.

• Hi Acrylian,

Well, it turns out that you were half-right. It was permissions, but not filesystem permissions; it was selinux -- httpd_can_network_connect. I don't know how that escaped me! Here I was digging around in code, where I had no business being, and the /var/log/message log told me explicitly what I needed to fix, and I spent a lot of time there!

I wanted to post a picture of the final page with all green dots. I find no way to post images to the forum, but you've seen that page hundreds of times, so it is not such a rewarding image to you as it is to me. I still have a few items from the first page of "setup" which rightly belong in the other thread.

Good job; well done. Give yourself a raise.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Great you figured it out! That's why we often say "sadly not every server behaves the same". Not easy to find instantly.

Regarding images on the forum: Uploading is indeed disabled for several reasons. Please link to external sources instead.