Uploading large jpegs

I've scanned a large number of old maps and plans as jpegs. Each map is about 1m wide by 0.3m high and, to keep the detail, they are around 6MB each. I have thousands of images, and the filename of the one I'm trying to upload is 207,002E.
I've tried to upload on a number of occasions. Sometimes I get an error message that the upload has failed but, at other times, the upload reports that it has completed successfully, but when I look, the image isn't there as a thumbnail (just a truncated filename), and clicking on it just produces an ERROR message in what should be the full-size view.

The Debug log for my final attempt is:
{212454:Sat, 07 Aug 2021 16:33:40 GMT}
USER WARNING: getRandomImagesAlbum (called from functions.php line 105) is deprecated Use the image_album_statistic plugin function getImageStatisic() with appropiate parameters You can disable this error message by going to the deprecated-functions plugin options and un-checking getRandomImagesAlbum in the list of functions. in /home/sites/15a/e/e7bb5c7e6f/public_html/zp-core/zp-extensions/deprecated-functions.php on line 158
trigger_error called from deprecated_functions::notify (deprecated-functions.php [158])
from getRandomImagesAlbum (deprecated-functions.php [259])
from zpB_getRandomImages (functions.php [105])
from include (home.php [30])
from include (index.php [9])
from include (index.php [130])
from index.php [56]

Help, please.

Comments

• fretzl Administrator, Developer
    edited August 2021

It may very well be that the images are too large for your server to process. Please see https://www.zenphoto.org/news/problems-with-albums-and-images/.

The filename with the comma should work but we strongly advise not to use punctuation marks (except hyphen and underscore) or diacritical characters in file/folder names.

The warning is not yet critical but means that the theme (zpBootstrap) should be updated. You could ask the theme author (@vincent3569) about that.

• I've been trying various ways to reduce the size without affecting image quality too much. I'm working on the old maps, and my conclusion is that anything over around 6,000 pixels wide will cause instability, even if it uploads correctly. Also, I think that 6MB is about the maximum acceptable file size, but this is slow to open over a standard broadband connection, and 3MB is about the practical limit.
    Can anyone else confirm, or offer their conclusions?

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

The file size is really not the issue with file processing as you can see on our article linked above. Sadly you have to figure out yourself what works on your server as it all depends on its setup like memory and power.

On the actual pages Zenphoto serves resized versions so your original files are not that much of an issue for the actual connection. But also here you have to experiment with the options.

• vincent3569 Member, Translator

hi
    @acrylian, getRandomImagesAlbum is deprecated?
    what is the new function to use in replacement?

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

Besides the deprecation notice telling it already please see here https://www.zenphoto.org/news/zenphoto-1.5.8/ within the plugin section on image_album_statistics.

• fretzl Administrator, Developer

@vincent3569 take look at several pull requests on some of your themes on GitHub