The simpler media website CMS
I think a lot more detail would be beneficial to the Install guide. Here are some suggestions. Feel free to take or leave any.
Download the latest version of Zenphoto.
* Add, "from the 'Download' button on the bar on this page."
* Missing any instructions on installing pre-requisites. This required a lot of Googling. Things that came up for me are to "apt-get update && apt-get install apache2 php mysql mysql-server php-mysql php-tidy php-xml php-curl php-bz2 php-intl php-gd"
Extract the files to your computer then upload all files and folders as listed below to your web directory via FTP. You can upload them either in the root of your webspace or within a subfolder.
* Add "with programs such as 'tar xzvf vX.X.X.tar.gz' or 7-zip "
* Add "zenphoto-" to the name of the tarball.
* Add "Web directory is typically in '/var/www' for a new site or '/var/www/' for an existing site"
* I suggest pre-creating the "zp-data/charsét" file and embedding it in the tarball.
Create a MySQL database. (technically Zenphoto can do this automatically but virtually no host allows this!)
* Example commands like this:
* CREATE DATABASE zenphoto;
* CREATE USER zenphoto IDENTIFIED BY 'strong password';
* GRANT ALL ON zenphoto.* TO zenphoto;
If you install on local server please also read Using Zenphoto on local servers.
* If a new site is created, need to add requisite pointer. In Apache, this is a conf file in /etc/apache2/sites-available and then use a2ensite to enable it. Perhaps put a link to a good reference on how to make this conf file. Generally, the referenced page is missing Apache instructions.
Navigate to your gallery. Example: if you uploaded in a subfolder named "zenphoto" navigate to www.yoursite.org/zenphoto/. Setup.php will run. (if it somehow does not, please navigate directly to www.yoursite.org/zenphoto/zp-core/setup.php.). Info about the required permissions if you run into issues.
* Would be helpful to indicate owner:group that is appropriate.
Enter the MySQL credentials (you get them from your provider) and make sure everything checks out.
* Clear enough!
Then click GO!