Import Picture Captions

I have a list of picture names (xxx1.jpg) and captions for what the pictures are of.

Is there a way to import this into Zenphoto to the album?

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

"Is there a way" is always the wrong question ;-) If you mean if there is a simple way with one click no.

The best is to add these to the meta data of the images itself. Otherwise you have to code something.

• OK on meta.. actually I can PowerShell it into the exif.

Then... is there a way to add it to the description of the photo?

If it is in the right exif field embeeded and the field enabled for import on the options Zenphoto will do so. Either on discovery or via metadata refresh.

• never mind... I edited 1 by hand... ZP puts it right under the picture.

Yes, most themes put the description below the image if you enter text there. I am confused I thought you asked about how to import it without typing manually. That will only work via metadata unless you like to code something.

• OK... I am in error...

First, I found a way to bulk update the metadata on the pictures. that works just fine. that takes care of that issue

However, I am having problems displaying that in the zpbase these. What I thought was working was a mistake, as I had manually updated the picture in the album settings.

What meta data setting do I need to update to have it display? I have tried title and description and neither are working

Actual display is domain of the theme used. Official themes can display a meta data tables but normally title and description are imported on meta data refresh if the fields are enabled to do so.

• I would like to be able to display the exif Description or title in the Image Title in the album.

If no exif set, then use the picture filename.

My theme is ZPABSE

is there a way to do this?

edited October 2022

Both the description and title are normally imported so should be used generally.

$this->connection

Yes, modify the theme. See https://www.zenphoto.org/news/theming-tutorial/ for the basics. Also of interest: https://www.zenphoto.org/news/zenphotos-object-model-framework/

• OK... so no way to do it without learning PHP and reverse engineering Zenphoto :)

More than I can take on now.

Too bad. I would be nice if there was a way to bulk add info like this to Zenphoto.

thanks

edited October 2022

No revers engineering. Just using the function and class methods that are there. But sorry, so "just one click" solution for things like this.

Too bad. I would be nice if there was a way to bulk add info like this to Zenphoto.

Well, it is a matter what you out put where on the theme. No one can know where you want it. The data is already there since it should be imported as mentioned if you have the metadata fields enabled.

On the single image page most themes do display a table of metadata that are enabled. Don't remember if zpbase does this as well. But titles on the album (the thumb list) no theme currently does or has options for (a future theme might but, well,that is future…).