ZenphotoPress: Zenphoto plugin for WordPress

Comments

• Well, add me to the list of people who can't get any albums to show up in the dropdown list... I tried all the ideas further up in this thread. My only guess is that my host/server configurations won't let this work. I guess I could try some of the other plugins, but I don't think they work quite as well. Oh well...
  • @jley: What's your host/server config?

@charlesb: thx for sharing, I'll run some tests with that configuration.
  • Well, I tried the debug mode (problem = no albumns in drop-down). This is what I got:

INFO

PHP Version: 5.2.2

INFO

Current working directory: /hermes/web05/b1432/pow.jonathanley/htdocs/news/wp-content/plugins/zenphotopress/tinymce

INFO

INFO

GET: Array ( [tinyMCE] => 1 [ver] => 3241-1141 )

INFO

ZenphotoProxy method: cURL

INFO

ZenphotoProxy call: http://phlumf.com/news/wp-content/plugins/zenphotopress/zenphoto_bridge.php?function=get_nested_albums&data_path=/hermes/web05/b1432/pow.jonathanley/htdocs/gallery/zp-data

Not sure if I can decipher this. I checked my hosting to see if I had a password protected directory issue, but it listed no password protected directories anywhere on my site.

Any other ideas?
  • It doesn't look like a password-protection issue.
    A guess: the PHP code in the ZenphotoProxy call chokes somewhere, but it doesn't return any info because error messages are disabled. Do you have access to an error log or something like it?
    Also, try downloading the development version of ZPP: http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/zenphotopress.zip
  • Dear Simbul and the others,

I wrote yesterday here http://www.zenphoto.org/support/topic.php?id=6426 but I have seen that maybe this place is more appropriate.

I installed Zenphotopress but I get an error of 404 when I try to add a gallery in the post editor. The URL the editor loads when I click on ZP icon is:

http://www.teresaahedo.com/wp-content/plugins/zenphotopress/tinymce/popup_zp.php?tinyMCE=1&ver=3241-1141

The directory, and the full path is OK. Any hint of what the problem could be? I have deactivated the htaccess but is still not working properly.

Thank you very much in advance!
  • You mean you get a 404 in the popup that comes out when you click on the ZP icon?

I tried visiting the URL you posted (actually, I visited http://www.teresaahedo.com/wp-content/plugins/zenphotopress/ ) but it returned an (apparently) empty directory.
    It may be a configuration of the webserver to avoid directory listing, but consider the possibility that the 404 actually means the files aren't there.
  • I really like embedding albums on WP pages with ZenphotoPress, but the problem is that it's not a very user friendly experience, because the popup UI doesn't allow me to add an album badge, and I can't seem to be able to figure out what my albums' id's are with anything but trial and error. Optimally, I would like to see an option to add an album badge from the UI exactly like with the sidebar widget. I hope this is an upcoming feature, unless I missed it and it's hidden somewhere.

(Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread first. Please bear with me.)
  • Yes, you're right. It has been in the list of TODOs for quite some time, but lately I'm too busy to start trimming that list.
    It's definitely coming, anyway ;)
  • Hello All,

Been using ZPP for a while now, really cool solution. I upgraded to ZP 1.7 and now I'm getting this error...thoughts?

ZenphotoPress Messages
    ERROR

Cannot connect to DB: Access denied for user '---'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Of course, the '---' is actually a user name...

Note that there's no password protection on the data folder unless I'm missing some option in ZenPhoto itself.

Thanks,
    P
  • I didn't have time to check ZPP with 1.2.7 yet. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • I have ZP 1.2.7 and WP 2.8.6 and it's all happy days and sunshine.
  • I have a strange problem.
    I use ZPP 1.2.7 and WP 2.8.6

In the popup the albums do appear.
    But when I select an album, no images appear. When an album has more images than the limit, the links to page 2, 3,... do also appear. So the only problem is that i can't see (or select) the images of an album.

Anyone can help?
  • Problem solved by downgrading ZPP to 1.6.
  • 2 Problems I see in ZenPhotoPress - firstly...all images are listed vertically in Sidebar widget. I mean, they should display columnwise...so around 5-6 thumbnails show in one row. Showing each thumbnail in its own line creates too long line.

And second problem is no matter how many images I upload, when showing recent images, it shows around 8 old images and only 2 latest images. Those 8 old images never change but only 2 images gets updated.

Using Latest Zenphotopress and WP 2.9.
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    Not my plugin but

1. You probably have to adjust the CSS of your theme.

2. Clear the page cache if you using the WP super cache for example.
  • Well the first behavior...should be modified in core...since displaying 10 thumbnails vertically is not elegant in any case IMO.

I don't use WP Cache Plugins...problem is in the plugin since it selects those 8 images everytime...even when I activate/deactivate/reactivate the plugin.
  • EVen tried purging the ZP Image Cache..and still the same 8 got selected.
  • Ok found the fix...instead of asking it to display by date which always bugs me, I have now modified it to show by ids in Descending order which will always work and always get the latest uploaded pics.
    ID is the order Zenphoto discovers the images. The date may not reflect that if included in the images itself via EXIF etc.
  • Well this works since I don't upload pics I shoot myself. I just want to inform people of latest updates happening in the gallery.
  • The images are listed vertically because that's what makes most sense with a standard thumbnail size and the standard Wordpress theme.
  • Making the Sidebar too long is not a very elegant solution and neither makes sense. Suppose I need 10 thumbnails....with 50 px each height...I waste 500 px of sidebar in height.

Had it been 2 rows...I need just 100 px height with 5 thumbnails in each row. Lot less space and more images.
  • I'm sorry: how can you fit 5 thumbnails side-by-side in a sidebar? They would take at least 250px of horizontal space, and the default Wordpress sidebar is just 190px wide.
    Moreover, the default thumbnail size in Zenpress is 100px, so it would actually be 500px.

Mind you: I'm not saying your arrangement doesn't make sense. It is just not possible to enforce it in a default Wordpress+Zenphoto configuration.
  • Why r u considering only default theme? Check geneliaonline.in for what I did. Nobody uses default wp theme. Most themes are flexible enough to give 200-300 px sidebar. And I just quoted an example.

An idea...probably you can give a option in your plugin from user - how many columns to fit photos in and it can fit thumbnails automatically acc to sidebar's width.
    Where is the problem to just adjust your theme`s CSS to match your kind of usage?
  • Hi,

I'm using wordpress 2.9 and zenphoto 1.2.8, and today's dev version of zenphotopress (I had the same results with older versions of wordpress and zenphoto).

Zenphotopress lists no album, even if there is an album that isn't password protected on the root of my gallery.
    Here is the debug message :

ZenphotoPress Messages

INFO

PHP Version: 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.9

INFO

Current working directory: /var/www/myblog/wp-content/plugins/zenphotopress/tinymce

INFO

INFO

GET: Array ( [tinyMCE] => 1 [ver] => 327-1235 )

INFO

ZenphotoProxy method: cURL

INFO

ZenphotoProxy call: some-url

This URL returns some albums but the plugin displays nothing in the combobox.

Here is the result :

a:1:{i:378;a:4:{s:5:"value";s:3:"378";s:4:"name";s:9:"Argentina";s:8:"parentid";N;s:8:"children";a:6:{i:380;a:4:{s:5:"value";s:3:"380";s:4:"name";s:21:"2009-11-08_09 LLegada";s:8:"parentid";s:3:"378";s:8:"children";N;}i:382;a:4:{s:5:"value";s:3:"382";s:4:"name";s:36:"2009-11-09_12 Iguazu y las Missiones";s:8:"parentid";s:3:"378";s:8:"children";N;}i:379;a:4:{s:5:"value";s:3:"379";s:4:"name";s:25:"2009-11-13_19 El Noroeste";s:8:"parentid";s:3:"378";s:8:"children";N;}i:381;a:4:{s:5:"value";s:3:"381";s:4:"name";s:35:"2009-11-20_21 La Peni­nsula Valdes";s:8:"parentid";s:3:"378";s:8:"children";N;}i:383;a:4:{s:5:"value";s:3:"383";s:4:"name";s:38:"2009-11-23_27 El Cafalate y El Chalten";s:8:"parentid";s:3:"378";s:8:"children";N;}i:384;a:4:{s:5:"value";s:3:"384";s:4:"name";s:26:"2009-11-27_29 Buenos Aires";s:8:"parentid";s:3:"378";s:8:"children";N;}}}}

Thanks for your help
  • It was difficult to spot, but after a lot of searching I found an inconsistency in your proxy call response (which is a PHP serialized nested array, btw): the name of the albums contains a certain number of characters, but the serialized array says otherwise.

Long story short: I think you have a character encoding problem. Is your gallery based on UTF-8?
  • Thanks for your post.
    I also thought I had some encoding issues. So I tried unpublishing my albums and creating a single album with no special characters and one photo. The album is named Test and the photo 0001.jpg

here is what I get :
    url :
    http://mydomain/blog/wp-content/plugins/zenphotopress/zenphoto_bridge.php?function=get_nested_albums&data_path=/var/www/path/httpdocs/zp-data

a:1:{i:387;a:4:{s:5:"value";s:3:"387";s:4:"name";s:4:"Test";s:8:"parentid";N;s:8:"children";N;}}

I also tried to access it from another browser (in case of password protection).

Thanks again.
  • This looks very much like a serialized `album` object if that is any help.
  • And not even the test album is working? I tested it now and it works (while the serialized output you posted earlier did not).

@sbillard: yes, it's a serialization of a simplified album. That's what it is supposed to be, actually :)