After upgrading to 1.5 all cache files for zpArdoise are being regenerated

tplowe56 Member
edited July 2018 in Themes

After upgrading to 1.5 all cache files for zpArdoise are being regenerated. I have hundreds of albums with existing image sizes still intact but after upgrading new cache files are generated for all thumbnails and other image sizes. Not alteration has been done to zpArdoise theme before or after upgrade.

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    edited July 2018

The topic title is a bit misleading as we have several kinds of cache files :-)

But yes there had been a rather minor change within the image processor that may result in a differetn naming of default sizes. After clearing the cache all should re-generate.

• tplowe56 Member
    edited July 2018

Sorry,
    it's just the cache files related to images. I did look at the naming of the files and suspect that is where the change occurred. The problem is my host processing seems to take forever to generate new cache files. I originally generated all my cache files locally using xampp, and then uploaded them to my server. I think I have over 15,000 images. (Family photo album, for a family with three professional shooters going back 22 years). I use the cache generator within ZP each time I create a new album which is fine, but this change appears to have affected over 15,000 images (of which many have multiple images sizes in the cache, for desktop, mobile, etc.). That code change may have created quite a headache for users with many images.

• tplowe56 Member
    edited July 2018

Here is an example of the changes to the file naming convention, within the cache, for the same image, which is causing the regeneration of cached images. I see that the letter "c" is used on all old cached images in the file naming convention, but not the new.

Old:
    Harbour Island.12.11.08_85_cw85_ch85_thumb.jpg

New:
    Harbour Island.12.11.08_85_w85_h85_thumb.jpg

Yep, that is the change. It only applies to default sizes from the theme options like thumbs and sized images. I don't remember the actual details off hand anymore but it was a bug fix related to non consistent cache file names. I am sorry for the trouble this cause you.

• tplowe56 Member
    edited July 2018

I am still having problems with this issue. I upgraded my Xampp install to regenerate the thousands of cache files needed for my site. But now find that it is impossible to get cachemanger to generate the proper thumbnails. When I force cachemanager to generate the _85_w85_h85_thumb naming convention, the thumbs are distorted. This is a thumb used by gallerific in the zpArdoise theme. As far as I can tell no other thumb uses this naming convention where this change is occurring.

Old:

New:
    Harbour Island.12.11.08_85_w85_h85_thumb.jpg

I'm getting a little concerned about the lack of supported themes for ZP, and the subsequent issues with unsupported themes. ZP is superb CMS, but seems to be slowly losing a robust development community.

FYI: Godaddy throttles my CPU on shared hosting platform when I try to generate too many cache files on their platform. Hence the need to generate in bulk locally and upload a ZIP, which works fairly well, when doing large volume.

If I were to change themes this would be an absolute requirement. Godaddy server seems to be very slow at generating cache images on the fly sometimes, but works fine if I generate cache files for under, say 100 images, using cachmanager. Anything over that and I need to generate locally.

• Is zpArdoise and galleriffic using a non standard naming convention?

edited July 2018

I'm getting a little concerned about the lack of supported themes for ZP,

Yes, indeed, the lack of third party themes and plugins sadly has always been a problem actually.

Themes cannot choose any naming convention as that is generated by the core image processing functions by the sizes requested.

To use the cache manger themes best should register the required sizes via the theme options (although it can be done manually). zpGallerffic for sure does not do that since it is not even supported by its developer (and the galleriffic script itself is also rather dead to my knowledge). I don't even know if it registers anything at all.
    For zpArdoise l @vincent3569 surely can answer better.

I will never exclude that there is a bug somewhere. Are the thumbs itself distored or just the display in the theme? (just asking…;-))

So basically you want 85x85px cropped thumbs, right? I will try to reproduce that with zpArdoise

zpGallerffic for sure does not do that since it is not even supported by its developer (and the galleriffic script itself is also rather dead to my knowledge). I don't even know if it registers anything at all.

Just realize that zpArdoise uses Gallerfic, so this is nonsense ;-)

I see the last update for zpArdoise seems to be from 2017 so maybe he didn't yet implement the new functions for the cache manager registering of (default) sizes/crops. Those were actually added to the cacheManager plugin with his collaboration.

On the theme's themeoptions.php line 61 there is cacheManager::addThemeCacheSize($me, 85, NULL, NULL, 85, 85, NULL, NULL, true);

Try to change that to
    cacheManager::addThemeCacheSize($me, 85, 85, 85, 85, 85, NULL, NULL, true); or cacheManager::addThemeCacheSize($me, 85, 85, 85, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, true); to see if it works then.

If already on 1.5. you can also use cacheManager::addThemeDefaultThumbSize($me); for thumbs and cacheManager::addThemeDefaultSizedImageSize($me); for sized images as set on the theme options.

• Ok thanks. I will try your suggestions. I have already been editing that file but have not found success yet. Thanks for your help. I will report my findings.

• The problem is very simple.

1.)The cache manager and the theme generate 2 differently named thumbnails if galleriffic option is chosen.

2.) If I try to manually enter the correctly named thumbnail in cachmanager, it is shrunk rather than cropped. Distorted.

3.) The correctly processed thumbnail is named such that the theme does not recognize the thumbnail.
    b.) The theme does not recognize this correctly sized thumbnail
    generated by cachemanger.

edited July 2018

I am sadly not familiar enough with the theme to know how it sets its image sizes. Of course if the cachemanager definition and the actual custom sizes set on the them (which these definitions suggest) don't match, the theme will not use the cachemanager generated ones.

The image sizing functions are a bit tricky at times.

You can try to remove the first sizing parameter like this on the above ones I mentioned like cacheManager::addThemeCacheSize($me, null, 85, 85, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, true);

• Nothing works. I will just quit using galleriffic option, since it is no longer in development. I will need to generate new thumbs for entire site but that may be best option.

Maybe wait until VIncent responds before you change it right now. No matter if gallerific or not the theme should be able to use the sizes generated by the cachemanager. Just to be sure this is no bug somewhere.

• tplowe56 Member
    edited July 2018

Well.....I have forced cachemanager to create the correctly named thumb for zpArdoise/Galleriffic, but it still not correct. When loading the images from the front end (without cached files) it creates a slightly larger thumbnail. The theme then displays them both in the same 85x85px box, but the cachmanager thumbs are then of a lower quality.

So now I have the theme and cachemanger creating the same named thumbnails but they are different dimensions. One is 85px on the long side, other 85px square.

Something weird going on. Vincent will have to look at this.

edited July 2018

I just tried and I can reproduce the issue so far that the default thumb method of the cachemanager does not match the files the actual default thumb function generates.

The option is using percentage values instead of px values which the image function actually do. I have to take another look. So this is not a theme issue directly.

edited July 2018

The support build has a small fix so that if cacheManager::addThemeDefaultThumbSize($theme); is defined it should now match the filename/size that printImageThumb() generates. Which zpArdoise seems to do as far as I can see.

• tplowe56 Member
    edited July 2018

Thanks for looking into this Acrylian.

For future posts it might be easier for me to demonstrate an issue like this with images. Can I use the described markdown to post images? I presume I have to upload them to my server and then describe the proper path?

"Markdown uses an image syntax that is intended to resemble the syntax for links, allowing for two styles: inline and reference.

Inline image syntax looks like this:"

![Alt text](/path/to/img.jpg)

![Alt text](/path/to/img.jpg "Optional title")
    edited July 2018

That actually should work unless this forum software does not allow embeding of images (which I currrently don't know). For sure we have disabled uploading of anything.

But in any case you can directly link to images in question without embedding them itself.

• Thanks

• Acrylian,

with the new build and code added to themeoptions.php, cachemanager does not generate ANY thumbnails for zpArdoise when using gallerific option. I think Vincent needs to take a look at this but he does not appear to be around.

No code I have tried on themeoptions ever shows an 85 x 85px thumbnail in the cachmanager plugin settings, as it does with other themes.

BTW - What process triggers the registration of the theme with the cachemaneger?

edited July 2018

The theme might need some changes as well as I mentioned above.

If you define new cacheManager settings you might need to disable and re-enable the theme as those are registered and may not be recognized initially.

BTW - What process triggers the registration of the theme with the cachemaneger?

You can directly see that in the themeoptions.php file of the theme.

• Ok, thats what I have been doing, activating an other theme and then re-activating zpArdoise.

Thanks.

• vincent3569 Member, Translator
    edited July 2018

Hi
    I just discover this thread.
    maybe something goes wrong with my theme (not have a look on zpArdoise yet), but in fact, before that, I think something goes wrong between cacheManager/cacheImages functions and template functions.

I tried basic and zenpage themes and the results are the same:
    I have 2 cache names and sizes, for custom thumbnail cropping:

*zenpage thumbs:
    -with cacheManager:
    img_8965_95_w95_h95_cw734_ch734_cx305_cy0_thumb.jpg (~138ko)
    -with theme (auto discover from front-end):
    img_8965_w95_h95_cw734_ch734_cx305_cy0_thumb.jpg (~4ko)

*basic thumbs:
    -with cacheManager:
    mg_8965_100_w100_h100_cw734_ch734_cx305_cy0_thumb.jpg (~138ko)
    -with theme:
    img_8965_w100_h100_cw734_ch734_cx305_cy0_thumb.jpg (~4ko)

for "standard" thumbnail cropping, the name is the same but sizes are quitte different:
    -with cacheManager (for basic thumbs):
    img_8991_100_w100_h100_thumb.jpg (~5.5ko)
    -with theme basic (for basic thumbs):
    img_8991_100_w100_h100_thumb.jpg (~3.7ko)

edited July 2018

I just tested with the basic theme and indeed even with the recent fixes and the new defaultthumb method of the cache manager it is not correct. I will take another look.

edited July 2018

I found an issue: for "standard" thumbnail cropping, cacheManager generates uncropped thumbs rather cropped ones.

edited July 2018

That I couldn't reproduce with the Basic theme (I am always talking about the support build of course).

me too, of course

• acrylian,

So some changes to the cachemanager plugin need to be incorporated before the correct thumbnails will be generated? Any idea when this will be completed?

Yes, they need. And it will be completed when 1.5.1 is released. Due to time issue on my end (main job) I can't say when exactly.