Upload photos from Digikam? Or synchronize local folder?

I'm willing to migrate my galleries from Piwigo to ZenPhoto.

But I have the following two requirements:

1. Upload photos to ZP directly from Digikam
  2. Synchronize photos from a local folder to a specific album in ZP

Are these usages possible?

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer
    edited October 2019

Yes, but you possible have to create the workflow yourself (I have no knowledge about Digikam).

Zenphoto is differently to Piwigo - as far as I know - completely file system based. The root "albums" folder contains folders with images and further images (or optionally even other media types depending on plugins).

This means you can upload via FTP or other ways directly there to have Zenphoto recognized the albums and images.

Recommended reading about image sizes, caching and image discovery:
    https://www.zenphoto.org/news/caching/

• I use Digikam + Zenphoto. My images are on a LAN accessible server. I mount the relevant drive, tag, etc. with Digikam, and then within Digikam move the ones I want to into the Zenphoto album folder structure (i.e., both the main image folders and the Zenphoto albums are set as collections within Digikam). Zenphoto has been able to automatically pick them up without an additional step.

I'm pretty much the only one who uses the server or the Zenphoto site, so I can't speak to how well that sort of workflow would work with a more "active" setup with multiple users.

Keep in mind that if your image drive is not on your local machine, it really needs to be connected by ethernet -- not wifi -- for the Digikam part to work well. There are (were?) still significant bottlenecks in Digikam making it slow enough to be unusable otherwise.

I assume you could do something similar if you have Zenphoto on a remote installation, by mounting the remote server by FTP or something, but once the images are moved to a remote Zenphoto drive then you may face untenable slowness if you try to use Digikam to further manage them.

• Can I still do this?

• annawats Member
    edited September 2021

Anyone? I will love to try Digikam or ZenPhoto if they're still a good option for this. I see that some of you use both. Is it worth it having both of them? Maybe there is a new and better option now that some of you guys would like to share with me? It's possible because this was a long time ago...
    This info would mean a lot to me because I don't want to spend too much time trying out everything. I already spend a lot of time editing with photostock, and there is not much time I can lose.
    Thanks in advance to anyone that answers. I appreciate it a lot.

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

I still have no knowledge about Digikam but what I answered above still applies.