php 8

Does the current support build work with php8?

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

Yes, but I don't recommend to use it on a production site yet as it is work in progress and may be unstable.

• Any update in the matter of php8?

I am running Debian Bookworm - current "testing" - on a local machine and Boookworm has today php8.

As soon as 1.6 is released. You can try 1.6a aka support build already but don't use it on a production site as it is still work in progress in some areas (includeing database stuff).

• Thanks for the update. :)

We're slow we know but it is as it is ;-)

• Hello,

For information, my host provider (one.com) just informed me they are about to upgrade to php8 in a few weeks.
    I will be able to go back to php7.4 until 28th of november.
    After that date, php7.4 will be definitely removed from servers.

Just to let you know. ;-)

We heard on some hosts doing this, others still keep old version to use on your own risk (like ours). In short: We are working on it.

• Tobias Member
    edited November 2022

We were informed that our hoster will upgrade to PHP 8.1 in the next week.

PHP 7.4 will reach end-of-life on Nov 28th, meaning it will not receive any (official) security fixes after this date (cf. PHP: Supported Versions). I do not expect hosters to offer support for this version much longer.

Are there any issues known as of now regarding running Zenphoto on PHP 8?

Edit: I found this thread via Google, but discovered the thread "Zenphoto and PHP 8+" now. Looking forward to the announced update! :)

You would easily have found that by looking at the forum main page, too ;-) https://forum.zenphoto.org/discussions

Yes, we know some hosts are very (too) quick with already disabling even PHP 7 completely. We hope to be ready within next week.

• MarkRH Member
    edited November 2022

I just got an email from my host that the default PHP version will be PHP 8.1 after November 28th. We can still set our sites to use older versions (using cPanel's MultiPHP Manager) like the current 7.4 for awhile after that but eventually the old versions will get removed.

I'm still running version 1.5.7 of the Gallery. I tried going to a newer version before but I couldn't get things to work quite right due to the large amount of changes to the customized theme I was using (based off Garland). Looks like this will kind of force me to get it working now LOL.

I suspect the forum software I'm using on one of my sites will also probably barf. Fun stuff.

Anyway, thanks for all your efforts.

We are working on it and the github master is a "work in progress" 1.6RC already compatible up to 8.1.. Although there might be some native php deprecation warnings as it is more type strict and we historically mixed them all over the place.

We would appreciate testing. From at least 1.5.9 to 1.6RC there are not really actual theme changes. Garland is more or less the same from them with only minor changes (and one is even optional).